Mitts

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Last night took off my mitts when riding the new road bike. Much more comfortable than with them on. I wondered what the problem was, maybe its the gel padding is just a bad idea on a road bike and I need some unpadded leather mitts, maybe the gel is already "shaped" to how I road the hybrid so I simply need a new pair. Any ideas?
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I wouldn't go for overly padded mitts on drops with thick bar tape, bound to feel a bit odd and spongy. Also don't forget that in general you'll have a lot more weight on your arms on drops.

I use Knog love/hates and find them about perfect - I am religious about wearing mitts as well after a relatively slow speed fall took the skin off the back of one hand to bone depth in a couple of places.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • sketchley
    I like the look of them.

Do you know any London stockists? Need to try for size.
    --
    Chris

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I don't know stockists, got mine via Wiggle but sizing is initially tight but they stretch nicely to erm...fit like a glove.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Condor stocks knog, they might have the mitts.
  • sketchley
    notsoblue wrote:

Condor, never been. Grays Inn road isn't it? Can I take my bike inside? Would want to leave it outside there......
    --
    Chris

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Sketchley wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Condor, never been. Grays Inn road isn't it? Can I take my bike inside? Would want to leave it outside there......

Yes you can take it in, there are racks on the left in the front door.

I've been working over the road for four days and I've just come back from my fourth visit.....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • sketchley
    As you are just over the road. Do they have any nice mitts? Ideally the knog love hate ones?
    --
    Chris

• asprilla
    Sketchley wrote:
    As you are just over the road. Do they have any nice mitts? Ideally the knog love hate ones?

I'll pop over when it stops raining raining (or failing that just later this afternoon) and have a look.

That will make 5 visits in 4 days. I'm like a moth to a flame.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Condor, huh? Nice shop with some lovely stuff but I've found the staff are a bit like those drawings of a snake in a circle swallowing its tail, except in their case the relationship between tail and head is reversed, IYKWIM

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Sketchley - I thought you worked on Clerkenwell Rd area?

I've had my daily fix already today.

The staff are fine - I'm clueless when it comes to bike bits and they're always really helpful. Got to give a shout to London Bike Workshop which is just around the corner too - they're mega helpful, cheap and quick. Would recommend.
  • sketchley
    Sketchley - I thought you worked on Clerkenwell Rd area?

I've had my daily fix already today.

The staff are fine - I'm clueless when it comes to bike bits and they're always really helpful. Got to give a shout to London Bike Workshop which is just around the corner too - they're mega helpful, cheap and quick. Would recommend.

Yes more Old Street End. I wouldn't normally go via Grays Inn Road on way home......
    --
    Chris

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Got to give a shout to London Bike Workshop which is just around the corner too - they're mega helpful, cheap and quick. Would recommend.

+1 Great for a service.

I think Condor are pretty good actually. I found them a bit intimidating at first but they know their stuff.
  • clarkey cat
    Yes more Old Street End. I wouldn't normally go via Grays Inn Road on way home......

Now you have a gucci road bike you can wave your willy in there with everyone else now.
  • asprilla
    Sketchley, been called into a meeting between 15.30 and 17.00, so will pop in on the way home.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • sketchley
    Asprilla wrote:
    Sketchley, been called into a meeting between 15.30 and 17.00, so will pop in on the way home.

Hey don't go out of your way. I'll pop in myself on way home. Might check out the other place too.
    --
    Chris

• clarkey cat
    I'll be there at 6 Sketchley picking up my bike so say Hi if you see someone on a big dirty Orange bike.
  • sketchley
    I'll be there at 6 Sketchley picking up my bike so say Hi if you see someone on a big dirty Orange bike.

Ok, look for a fat bloke on pretty bike!
    --
    Chris

• clarkey cat
    Ok, look for a fat bloke on pretty bike!

Same!
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    I have got Altura crochet mitts and they are lovely and comfy.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    if youre in the area, there is a Cycle Surgery down Procter street..a very nice one! dont know if they stock what youre after...