Ooops. Came off now time to replace the pieces. Juicy 3's?

birch1983
birch1983 Posts: 124
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I had an accident the other day whilst on a trail and have managed to damage the right hand/front brake lever. The brakes I have are Avid juicy 3's.

The lever does apply the brakes still, but unfortunately when the lever is returning after release it seems to return to its original position and them becomes very loose (you can push the lever forward/towards the front of your bike another 1-2cm after it has returned).

I wondered if anyone knew where a relatively cheap replacement could be sourced or if anyone knows how this can be fixed?

Thanks all.

Anthony

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you most likely need a new washer and possibly a new C clip and push rod.

Strip it and have a look or get the LBS to do it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • birch1983
    Do you know where it is possible to obtain a diagram detailing the correct way to overhaul?

Is it likely they will need replacing or adjusting do you think?

Thanks Nick!
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    I needed a new lever assembly after knackering the thread on mine changing hoses (always push the hose in when tightening, or use goodridge stuff).

I couldn't find a replacement and just bought a new lever and calliper.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    birch1983 wrote:
    Do you know where it is possible to obtain a diagram detailing the correct way to overhaul?

Is it likely they will need replacing or adjusting do you think?

Thanks Nick!

Srams web site. you nee to see what you have done. but small part replacement is what i expect.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • birch1983
    Thanks Nick. Just out of curiosity I also managed to damage the shifters (Shimano Alivo 9spd). I have stripped and rebuilt them but struggling to stop the nut coming loose internally, Even when the locking washer is in position and crimped to the nut. Any ideas what this could be?
  • birch1983
    Problem solved. Thanks for your advice Nick. Managed to strip the lever down and found a rather distorted washer and circlip. Replaced them and now they are fine. Managed to sort out the gear selector too.

Thanks for your help once again Nick.