bamboo frames eh?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cool idea, I've seen a few pictures of such things before. However, I reckon it's damned well near impossible to ensure that each bamboo shoot grown is strong enough, or has no defects.
    Extruding aluminium tubing is more of a known quantity.
  • Also, bamboo's not as environmentally friendly a material as you might think:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2011/07/rethinking-smugness-steel-is-new-bamboo.html
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Material's fine according to what I could be bothered to read of that link, but the epoxy used in some "make your own bicycle workshop" was not biodegradable.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are also useful for picking up hot panda chicks in the forest.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Bamboo is probably stronger than carbon fibre in the event of a crash :)
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Material's fine according to what I could be bothered to read of that link, but the epoxy used in some "make your own bicycle workshop" was not biodegradable.

Right, for some strange reason biodegradable epoxy holding a frame together would make me nervous...
  • Bamboo as been used for many years in far east for construction, for scaffolding, roof structures, plywoods its also a very flexible and strong,its a grass wood not a tree wood, depending on the production methods for making a bike frame ie laminated or special treatment too the bamboo shoot it would be fine for a bike frame , it has a better tensile strength than mild steel and better weight to strength ratio than graphite, only problem i can see is how they would joint it but there are that many types of glues available so it must of been overcome, wood is not to be underestimated ive been working with it for nearly 30 years so hopefully i should know
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Meatfox
    Meatfox Posts: 155
    i reckon getting chased by starving angry pandas would put me off
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bamboo is carbon fibre I suppose!