Bottling it?

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Yes, my bottle has gone. It leaks slightly which leaves an unsightly mess on my frame.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    New frame...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Fill the bottle with jelly.
  • joelsim
    Some good suggestions so far...

I shall get some jelly and spread it all over Cav's missus.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Tea and radweld?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    crack an egg in there, it works for car radiators....it might have something to do with a radiator being hot though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Weld it.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    You need a carbon bottle.

There are lots of places that do bottle repairs. Prices start at about a tenner + the £50 minimum call-out fee. Well worth it.
  • joelsim
    Loads more great ideas. Keep 'em coming. Perhaps someone also might like to suggest a good bottle from new?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Joelsim wrote:
    Loads more great ideas. Keep 'em coming. Perhaps someone also might like to suggest a good bottle from new?

i likes the new camelbak bottles

Pricey though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I bought 12 Cervelo / Zipfit bottles from ebay. I think they cost £12 delivered.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i likes the new camelbak bottles

Pricey though

Oooh, they're in the 3 for 2 offer...only £8.66 each. Was thinking the other day that I should probably get round to replacing the Camelbak's that I've had for a while.

I do like the Podium Chills, but the insulation does mean you can't see how much you have left in the bottle (and the Podium nozzle system as a whole means you can't get that last little bit out without unscrewing the top!).
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    My Wiggle bottle is cheap and works.

It could be a problem with your frame, that's manifesting as a leaky bottle though, so you should buy at least one new bike to be on the safe side.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    edited August 2011
    Turn the bottle upside down
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • airbusboy
    airbusboy Posts: 231
    Freeze the contents and make sure your ride is completed before melting begins....
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    If your bottle has gone....... MTFU!!!! :twisted:
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • joelsim
    symo wrote:
    If your bottle has gone....... MTFU!!!! :twisted:

I was waiting for that legend!
  • SimonAH
    Make sure that your bottom bracket is well greased for a seal then simply fill the frame with the beverage of your choice via the seat tube. Add a flexible tube co-axial to the seatpost and accessed by drawing from between your legs mid-race.

Cheap, innovative, perfectly aero. What more could you want?

You'll even gain a psychological advantage over the competition when racing as they will assume that you are so tough you drink your own piss a la Bear Grills. :D

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    bottle?

what's wrong with just using a bidon like everyone else?

it has a je ne sais quoi that a bottle doesn't have, mon petit chou-chou
  • SimonAH
    Edit. I meant P1SS. Bear Grills does not drink wee-wee. :D

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Phil Corley's bicycle p0rn shop (nothing less than a grand lads) over in Milton Keynes had some of his own-brand bottles the other week for £3.99, with 15% off as it was a nice day or something. They work. Fluids goes in and stays in until you drink it. Can't see what more a bottle should be capable of personally. And they were an opaque colour that makes apple & blackcurrant squash look like some exciting illicit concoction. Or pink diesel, as one of our rural girls here pointed out last week.

Not a pop at you specifically OP, but there are some odd questions on here these days. What bottle? What's the best saddlebag? Will my knee explode if I exceed 50mph, should I wear a hat etc.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    SimonAH wrote:
    Make sure that your bottom bracket is well greased for a seal then simply fill the frame with the beverage of your choice via the seat tube. Add a flexible tube co-axial to the seatpost and accessed by drawing from between your legs mid-race.

Cheap, innovative, perfectly aero. What more could you want?

You'll even gain a psychological advantage over the competition when racing as they will assume that you are so tough you drink your own wee-wee a la Bear Grills. :D

00.jpg
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    CiB wrote:
    Not a pop at you specifically OP, but there are some odd questions on here these days. What bottle? What's the best saddlebag?

It's worse than you think. You are about three clicks away from actual, multi-paragraph reviews of water bottles:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... ter-bottle

You seem to be suggesting we could all be happy with these cheap, simple water bottles you mention... You must be one of these communists I have read so much about.

Why do you hate freedom?

:D
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    any you can get separate replacement tops for? it's them that leaks usually not the bottle itself.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    kieranb wrote:
    any you can get separate replacement tops for? it's them that leaks usually not the bottle itself.

All of them, but they cost as much as a whole bottle and come with a free bottle attached to the bottom of them.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SimonAH
    Actually my LBS will do you a two-for-one deal at just twice the usual price.

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Asprilla wrote:
    I bought 12 Cervelo / Zipfit bottles from ebay. I think they cost £12 delivered.

:shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • joelsim
    When I get a decent answer with a decent suggestion, I was wondering whether you knew a bike shop that could fit the bottle to my bottle cage?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do all size water bottles fit in any size cage?
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I managed to convert a specialized 500ml bottle into a holder to carry my phone, wallet, keys etc. by deft cutting and the use of a filed down part from a sink u-bend. Maybe you could convert an actual bottle/tool carrier into a drink bottle by drilling through the top and inserting a platic bendy straw. I think they are about £7 on fleabay.