SCR Time Trialing

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Well, that's my last cycling objective of the year completed. A TT was the last one nad tonights Kingston Wheelers Club 10 was my first ever TT.

Having learnt from bitter experience of other sporting events I arrived with plenty of time, parked in the wrong place (no-one told me to go to the car park at the top of the hill by the church!), found the meeting place, signed on, got my number, attached my number and worked out where to go for a warm up.

I was feeling nervous and the warm up felt like hard work, with my legs feeling like jelly. I necked a gel and then rolled over to the start with 5 minutes to spare. A bit of nervous chat with the other Wheelers before the start and then they call 31, the number before me. I watch the guy in front (Gareth) start and then I'm called forwards. I roll up, the starter steadies my bike and I start clipping in just as "10 seconds" is called. WTF! I'm not clipped in! I keep my cool, slow down, slot the cleat and I'm ready. "5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Go! And good luck". I'm off.

I power around the corner and onto the little slip road, accelerating up to speed, the KW forum comments of "pace yourself!" ringing in my ears. WIth this in mind I hold my speed down but soon we're into the first of the rolling hills which define the course. By the top I'm blowing hard. Once at the top, and on the down slope the other side I recover gently before slowly ramping up the effort. After the 1st roundabout I push a little harder and by the turn I'm feeling pretty good. It must be the caffine in that gel...

Time to push harder with the wind now behind me and the gradient on my side. The speed rises rapidly and the road is zipping under my pistoning legs. Then I hit the bottom of the hill and start to push up the far side. This is starting to hurt and I'm having second thoughts about this. I feel thirsty, my legs slowly start to burn, my breathing comes harder and faster. This is properly hurting now and my speed is falling.

The crest of the hill hoves into view and my speed rises. I'm suddenly on the middle roundabout which marks 7.5 miles down. I check for traffic and then attack the curves, pushing hard out of the curve, my speed rising in line with the pain from legs and lungs. Then the road rises but I recognise this from the outbound leg and know its short. I keep the effort on, and then hit the down slope. I'm putting out everything that I can. The computer shows the end is close. Where is it? I can't see anyone. I can't hold this much longer. Then I see some people sat at the side of the road. This must be it, one final push, keep the cranks spinning, the pain is almost over. I flash past the line, shouting my number, sit up, and coast. Precious air fills my lungs, I stop the computer. By the time I hit the bottom roundabout I'm already thinking "I can go faster than that". But not right now, I slowly head back to the car, then back to the meeting point (now that I know where it is).

Compare unofficial times, grab tea and biscuits, recover, joke and laugh. The times come around. I posted a 25:36, averaging about 23.5mph. I'm stoked, I had no real preconceptions but I'd wanted to dip beneath 26 minutes and get over 23mph. Job done.

That's the benchmark for next season, bring it on :lol:

Thanks to everyone here for the advice, and everyone at the course for more advice, guidance and support. And of course to the timekeeper and starter.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Great work! Nearly 7 minutes faster than my first 10. The best way to train for these things is to do them: I can never get the same sort of intensity in training.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Chapeau Rob!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Great job Rob. You've tempted me to sign up to the next one.
  • Wrath Rob
    JZed, you'd monster the course. It would really suit your style of riding, as long as you pace the uphills. The last 10 if the season is on 13th August, although apparently there are some open TT's on the same course in September.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    notsoblue wrote:
    Chapeau Rob!

+1

Sounds fun (or at least what cyclists call fun).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rjsterry wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Chapeau Rob!

+1

Sounds fun (or at least what cyclists call fun).

+1
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good work. Four years since I rode that course. No immediate desire to go back either!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • PinkPedal
    PinkPedal Posts: 180
    Nice work!

I did the last RP tt trial on the 24 and came to the conclusion that a boozy hen before getting up at 4:45am to try and ride a bike fast is not a good plan. Was hoping to redeem myself at the repeat this weekend but a week of job applications equals no training!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    NIce work Rob :-) As RJS says it certainly sounds like fun for a cyclist! I did try a fast 10 on the way back from Woking as I had some fairly rolling roads with very few stops!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Wrath Rob
    After I'd finished I was on a massive endorphin high for the rest of the night, which definitely made the pain and suffering worth it. Its made me think how fast the commute could be if there were no traffic lights, cars or junctions!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    PinkPedal wrote:
    Nice work!

I did the last RP tt trial on the 24 and came to the conclusion that a boozy hen before getting up at 4:45am to try and ride a bike fast is not a good plan. Was hoping to redeem myself at the repeat this weekend but a week of job applications equals no training!

No training for me either, haven't ridden the best bike in over a month and no opportunity to get in any miles between now and Sunday morning - will be riding on adrenaline and memory of what it feels like to be in decent shape, hopefully that will get me home in a respectable time!
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    After I'd finished I was on a massive endorphin high for the rest of the night, which definitely made the pain and suffering worth it. Its made me think how fast the commute could be if there were no traffic lights, cars or junctions!

if my shifts are close to 9-5 the difference in time due to traffic is a fair bit. best is late shifts where I have only one light to stop for. really quick and easy.