so that orange 5....pretty good ain't it?

spudly1979
spudly1979 Posts: 172
edited August 2011 in MTB general
Well after reading various threads on here saying its the best ever or the worst ever i finally tried one out! Rented it over at Cannock last week and gave it a blast around both FTD and monkey, and i have to say i was well impressed! Admittedly my first foray into the 150mm full suss bikeworld - my current ride is an anthem - but i seemed to fly around the track!

I kind of expected to be a lot faster with the increased travel, and a bit more confidence with the slacker head angle, but it just ate up everything i threw at it. Sadly that didn't extend to the new black section - but i suspect thats my confidence and ability or lack of!

From what lots of reviews etc had said i did expect it to climb a lot more poorly than my anthem. Again though i was pleasantly surprised - it flew up the climbs on the dog, and i felt barely any difference on the steep climb after the railtracks.

So the upshot - well glad i've invested in a 150mm bike (my new canyon am arrives in 2 weeks i hope) and i just really hope it rides as well as the orange!
Canyon AM 6.0
At some point i am going to manage to jump one of these things.....

Comments

• So you bought a bike.... Then test rode a completely different one..... Recipe for regrets
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Comfy chair: check.
    Beer and snacks: check
    Hard hat: check

Let battle commence....
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • spudly1979
    yeah, i know, but i happened to be near cannock for a wedding, had the morning free and one thing led to another!

I've no doubt there'll be big differences between the bikes - rear set up is completely different for starters. But i just fancied trying out a slacker, bigger travel bike before mine arrived - i had visions of being barely able to climb steep hills cos of the geometry and massively regretting my purchase!

Thankfully i'm now eagerly awaiting my new bike as i enjoyed the step up so much!
    Canyon AM 6.0
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Orange 5

Pro's:

Very, very capable
    Proven design

Con's:

Overpriced
    Hope components

/ends...

Now to hell with the Queensbury rules, let's brawl..
  • spudly1979
    Raymond - have to agree with you on the Hope bit - not because its no good, not because it costs loads, but because the clicking of the rear hub did my head in all the way round!

How do people put up with it!!?!
    Canyon AM 6.0
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    boom

apple is also better than windows FYI!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    spudly1979 wrote:

Keep pedalling you fairy!!! :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • spudly1979
    ahh, i get it now - the hope hub has been developed to keep us lazy cyclists pedalling?! Ingenius.
    Canyon AM 6.0
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    To keep us pedalling and to tell rambler's to get out of the way.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    The WTB Super Duty hub is also one loud mofo (Have one on the AM bike)
  • doggegg
    doggegg Posts: 61
    Spud, 6 inchers can climb. And I'd rather do it on a Canyon Strive than an Orange 5!
  • doggegg
    i agree completely. i love my strive for climbing, so glad i chose it over anything else
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    @spudly I think you have summed up an Orange 5 perfectly. You rode it, you liked it, you couldn't bring yourself to actually buy one.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    spudly1979 wrote:
    Raymond - have to agree with you on the Hope bit - not because its no good, not because it costs loads, but because the clicking of the rear hub did my head in all the way round!

By pedalling more? :)
  • dubmodder
    dubmodder Posts: 100
    I think you have summed up an Orange 5 perfectly. You rode it, you liked it, you couldn't bring yourself to actually buy one.

I think you will find that he bought a Canyon before he test rode the Five.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    gilesjuk wrote:
    spudly1979 wrote:

By pedalling more? :)

Me loves me clickety clickety pro2. As mentioned... better than a poxy bell to remind ramblers to move over :lol:

Plus it tells everyone else that you have some proper rad wheelz man.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • spudly1979 wrote:
    Well after reading various threads on here saying its the best ever or the worst ever i finally tried one out! Rented it over at Cannock last week and gave it a blast around both FTD and monkey, and i have to say i was well impressed! Admittedly my first foray into the 150mm full suss bikeworld - my current ride is an anthem - but i seemed to fly around the track!

I kind of expected to be a lot faster with the increased travel, and a bit more confidence with the slacker head angle, but it just ate up everything i threw at it. Sadly that didn't extend to the new black section - but i suspect thats my confidence and ability or lack of!

From what lots of reviews etc had said i did expect it to climb a lot more poorly than my anthem. Again though i was pleasantly surprised - it flew up the climbs on the dog, and i felt barely any difference on the steep climb after the railtracks.

So the upshot - well glad i've invested in a 150mm bike (my new canyon am arrives in 2 weeks i hope) and i just really hope it rides as well as the orange!
    Why not cancell the Canyon and order a 5 then?

The liklihood of them being the same to ride is slim.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    150MM round cannock?

Need about 3mm there that would be faster mate :p
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    150MM round cannock?

Need about 3mm there that would be faster mate :p

1. Have you ridden the Monkey trail? Or even FTD in the last 12 months?

2. STFU :lol:

Edit: For context, I was at Cannock last weekend and due to the braking bumps,it was working the suspension more than my rides at Whinlatter, Grizedale, Cwm Carn, Nant-yr-Arian, Mach, Llandegla.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thewaylander
    yarp, end of last year i was there. and earlier this.

Twas smooth bar a few pebals on the Mondy lol was wishing for my specialized back to blast on them for more speed suspension isn't gonna help there. And it wasn't a dig at them being shooot trails just a place i found having alot of travel wasn't a benefit I think thats fair.

So

1) Did you grow a pair riding at Cwm
    2) MTFU yourself :P
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Cwm was covered in inches of ice, so me, Gaz and El Cap skated round for a bit.

In fact I seem to remember that you and welshkev wussed out of that ride.....'grow a pair' indeed :lol:

So, to be fair, most of Cwm Carn wasn't a proper ride, but everywhere else I've been, I've never been fazed by anything, nothing has ever stood out as more difficult than what's on Cannock. The new black stuff, for example. The only difference at Cannock is it's up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, rather than uuuuuuuuuuuuuppppp, down, up, doooooooooooooowwwwnnnnn.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    dubmodder wrote:
    I think you have summed up an Orange 5 perfectly. You rode it, you liked it, you couldn't bring yourself to actually buy one.

I think you will find that he bought a Canyon before he test rode the Five.

Didn't say he did. OP could have cancelled the Canyon and bought a 5... if he'd wanted too.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Thewaylander
    Gotta say fell asleep riding cannock but each to there own, but i hate most trail centers at the moment anyways lol

Specially Afan /spit i reckon cannock does kick whites levels ass all over :p

And love saying that.. grow a pair lol :)