Hillingdon Road Race Results?

WisePranker
WisePranker Posts: 823
edited August 2011 in Amateur race
Where can I find some road race results from races held at the Hillingdon Road Circuit?
I've tried looking on their website but there's none on there that I can find.

I'm curious to see what kind of times different category riders get in the different races there!

Comments

• British Cycling or London Cycle Sport website.
    Summer - Colnago C40
    Race - Wilier Alpe D'Huez
    Winter/Commuter - Specialized Tricross
  • British Cycling or London Cycle Sport website.

Cheers, I'll take a look there.
  • not sure what your aiming to get out of seeing these times though, a race at a fast steady pace with an average on say 43k would be easier than and start stop race with an average of 40k
  • not sure what your aiming to get out of seeing these times though, a race at a fast steady pace with an average on say 43k would be easier than and start stop race with an average of 40k

I'm simply curious as to what kind of distances the races are and what kind times they're getting in them. I'm more interested in the Cat 4 races than any of the others.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I'm simply curious as to what kind of distances the races are and what kind times they're getting in them. I'm more interested in the Cat 4 races than any of the others.

The races are ~1 hour. The distance is irrelevant, you race to time + laps, not distance.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    The time and distance quoted on websites are fabricated anyway I find. I've raced 45 minute races which have been noted as 58 minutes!

At Hillingdon, 23-25mph average over an hour roughly.
  • Furrag wrote:
    The time and distance quoted on websites are fabricated anyway I find. I've raced 45 minute races which have been noted as 58 minutes!

At Hillingdon, 23-25mph average over an hour roughly.

Thanks. That's the kind of information I needed. I'm trying to get an idea of what level I'm at compared to the guys racing there.
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    You won't get much insight from average speeds. Sticking with the bunch at Hillingdon is about as easy as it gets in racing - it's staying at the sharp end for the finish or getting away that's tough there.

Just turn up and give it a go.
  • jocksyboy
    jocksyboy Posts: 135
    broad as it is long...
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • Dan_K
    Dan_K Posts: 19
    I've only ever raced once and that was at Hillingdon last year.
    i drifted off the back when I missed the break, got lapped and then stayed with the pack until the finish.
    Here's my Garmin link:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/33939334

The full write up is in my blog from April 2010.

I loved every minute of it and am gonna have a proper stab at racing next year.
    The circuit is very flat with a couple of very slight rises. You're pedalling the whole time, except perhaps for the left hander that goes onto the back straight (if you're in the middle of the bunch).
    If you can maintain 23-25mph for 45 mins - 1 hour you'll be fine. A year on, I think i'd be more comfortable now, especially as I did a lot on the turbo over the winter. Turbo training vids such as Downward Spiral from The Sufferfest would help with the little efforts you need I would think although with one race under my belt, i'm no expert![/url]
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Dan_K wrote:
    If you can maintain 23-25mph for 45 mins - 1 hour you'll be fine.
    You don't even need to do that, I can barely manage an hour for a 25 mile TT with my full-on TT bike, I certainly would struggle to do 45 min at 25mph on my road bike. Yet I've sat easily in the bunch in a 3rd cat race and even had a top 10 result at Hillingdon in the 4ths.

It's handy to be a strong fast rider solo (helps when you're in a break) but sitting in the bunch doesn't need that. More important is your ability to anticipate and handle all the surges, ride safely and intelligently in the bunch, feel comfortable on a wheel so you don't get gapped, and general fitness.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    maryka wrote:
    Dan_K wrote:
    If you can maintain 23-25mph for 45 mins - 1 hour you'll be fine.
    You don't even need to do that, I can barely manage an hour for a 25 mile TT with my full-on TT bike, I certainly would struggle to do 45 min at 25mph on my road bike. Yet I've sat easily in the bunch in a 3rd cat race and even had a top 10 result at Hillingdon in the 4ths.

It's handy to be a strong fast rider solo (helps when you're in a break) but sitting in the bunch doesn't need that. More important is your ability to anticipate and handle all the surges, ride safely and intelligently in the bunch, feel comfortable on a wheel so you don't get gapped, and general fitness.

Agree with Maryka. I've not managed 25mph ave in a net downhill 10 mile TT on a TT bike, yet have ridden in the bunch at Hillingdon 25mph + ave, and placed. Helps if you can sprint though if you want to do more than just ride in the bunch.

Any break is chased down pretty quickly in the 4ths at Hillingdon, so it doesn't even help to be the strongest rider.
  • Anyone know what happened to cause the stack in the women's race on Saturday?
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Various tweets that I read hinted that it was a new rider in her first or second race, and if true that's a sad but common occurrence these days. I think the men's crash was caused by a guy snapping his chain?