Which CX Bike?

2»

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Anyone got any opinions on the new Whyte Charing Cross:
    http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/bike_pag ... W-1-037-12

Thinking about selling my genesis cdf and getting a new bike. Would be on the btw scheme (got to decide if that's worth bothering with as well) and work only deal with Edinburgh Bicycles.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    oodboo wrote:

Thinking about selling my genesis cdf and getting a new bike. Would be on the btw scheme (got to decide if that's worth bothering with as well) and work only deal with Edinburgh Bicycles.

Interesting but seems difficult to see the £200 (code included) of extra value over the Boardman. That's what I keep coming back to. There are cheaper bikes with good specs (like Shimano 105 on the Focus Mares 2.0) but rim brakes and there are other bikes with mechanical discs but generally more expensive by a margin.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Yeah the Boardman does look like a very nice bike and a good price but I can't get one from Edinburgh Cycles.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • meanredspider
    oodboo wrote:
    Yeah the Boardman does look like a very nice bike and a good price but I can't get one from Edinburgh Cycles.

Consider (if at all possible) not going through the BTW scheme. I think I regret having bought my MTB through the scheme. I think much of what I saved in taxes I lost in not having the choice I wanted and in not being able to shop around for a great deal or buy secondhand. And now they've changed the valuation rules, I'm still leasing the bike (for free) for the next few years so I'm not even in a position to sell it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    On-One has just announced the Pompetamine with 11 speed Alfine + drop bar Versa shifters

http://on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPETVERSA ... -speed-pro

Price is £1,199.00

(Of coure, this comes out just a few weeks after I bought the 8 speed... :( )
  • meanredspider
    I stopped by Halfords on the way home and ordered the CX - not many left apparently.

It'll arrive next Friday but it will be a great way to celebrate the end of my son's year of chemotherapy which ends that weekend
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Having seen the pictures above, that looks a fine choice.

All the best for the end of your son's chemo and his recovery.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Got my self a Kinesis Crosslight 5T - great in snow,mud etc, nice looking bike and very popular in the CX races, will say that the brakes are pish in comaprison to my road bike but then if you buy decent pads it makes a big difference.

[img][/img]5373401791_c254f37aed_z.jpg
    IMAG0024 by Red Ritchie, on Flickr
  • meanredspider
    cjcp wrote:
    Having seen the pictures above, that looks a fine choice.

All the best for the end of your son's chemo and his recovery.

Yup - they had one in the wrong size in the shop but it looked good.

Thank you - it's been a tough year but it's gone as well as we could have hoped
  • mrtuk
    mrtuk Posts: 75
    oodboo wrote:

Looks good. Anyone know if the BB5 mechanical disc brakes are any good though ... I have read some poor reviews of them.

Not sure if you can get dual control on hydraulic disc brakes as standard anywhere (I've seen some adapters are available to let you do this, but not seen as standard).
  • meanredspider
    For those that have the Boardman, what sizes did you order (relative to your size). I went for the extra large as I'm 183cm and I ride an XL (58cm) Focus road bike. Also, a year or so ago, I looked at Boardman road bikes and the Halfords guy said XL for that.
  • meanredspider
    After doing lots of reading over night, I decided that a Large would be a better choice. As it happens, my local Halfords had one. The measurement from seatpost to stem is actually longer on the Boardman Large than my Cayo XL. Anyhow, bought the Large they had in stock - collect it on Monday as I had the wrong car with me. Will report on how I find it
  • meanredspider
    Another quick update - went to Halfords to pick it up as agreed. Arrived to find "safety checks" not done - was told 20 minutes. Came back 25 mins later (real PITA) and they still weren't done. 10 minutes later complete. My first trial of the brake lever and the shifter jammed against the bars. What a shower!

Pedals not arrived from Wiggle yet so will need to wait.

Frame looks good. Wheels look a bit cheap and saddle doesn't feel great but both can be sorted easily enough.

Just as an aside - looking for this thread, I searched on "Which CX" which returned nothing :? :roll: