How do i stop tyre slipping??

specializedsteve
specializedsteve Posts: 112
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
Got a 2010 specialized hardrock disc, still on tyres and inner tubes it came with.
Been getting out more since the weather improved but several times ive been going round a fast corner and the and inner tube has slipped round the wheel. ITs getting really irritating now having to lower air pressure, spining the tyre and inner tube back then pumpingit back up.

Why is it happening and is there anything i can do to stop it happening again?

Steve
If in doubt - flat out!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What tyre pressures are you running - could be way too low.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    Pump the tyres up more. My mate suffered with this and we worked out his tyre pressures were quite low and the tyres he had (don't remember the exact ones) had a very slippery coating on the bead which I think helps fitting and removal, but it meant his wheel slipped inside his tyre and aused the valve to tear at the inner tube.

Once he put more pressure in his tyres the slip stopped occurring!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • Hi,
    What pressure should i be running?

Thanks for the , i will check my pressure later today thanks!
    If in doubt - flat out!
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    My normal rules for general riding with 26" MTB off road tyres

60 psi full on road
    50 psi towpaths
    40 psi off road
    30 really tricky slow need every bit of grip stuff

Any lower and you will get snakebites and risk taking the rubber off if you corner, but the grip will go up a bit

Me personally, i prefer no punctures and no wobbles so always air up
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    The truth of the matter with tyre pressure is that you can't really advise for someone else as are a different weight and might have a different riding style ie. Heavier, need more pressure. Ride aggressively, need more pressure.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've never had a tyre slip round even at very low pressures. I'd assume that your tyres are fairly rubbish, particularly round the bead.

Whilst the specialized tyres are pretty good for grip and VFM you appear to have dodgy issues with your beads. I'd look and any of the decent AFTERMARKET tyres. Avoid the very cheap oem ones offered by the online guys, they can be very hit and miss with regards to quality.
  • Need to get new tyres soon anyway.
    They have got good grip like mentioned above, but will get new tyres sooner rather than later as dont want to be coming down a rough run just for it to slip again.

What pumps do you carry with you while cycling? Ive just got a cheap tesco own brand one coz i needed one quick but its absolutley pants. You get what you pay for really dont you!
    If in doubt - flat out!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have 2 pumps a Blackburn mountain air and a Toppeak pocket rocket. Both are excellent pumps well made and not too expensive. Forget ones with gauges they are usually about as accurate as a politician.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap