Worn chainrings

chriscdesign
chriscdesign Posts: 40
edited August 2011 in The workshop
Hi there,

I've been told that the chainrings on my SRAM Force double chainset (2010) are worn by my LBS. I probably have about 6000km on them. I've kept the bike clean and well maintained, is this normal?

I can't seam to find replacement Force chainrings ANYWHERE online, can use RED instead, or a 3rd party? Any recommendations??

Chris

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    It's a fairly high wear rate, I'd say. Wouldn't necessarily disbelieve it though - how pointy are the teeth?
    I think you should be ok to go for a different model; make sure your BCD measurement is the same.
    Be aware that most of the time your chainrings are the last to go, normally it's cassette/chains first, and then you do the chainrings as well as a new chain/cassette.

You may not need to change it right away.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yeah, that seems a high wear-rate. Can you post a picture? If the teeth look like shark's teeth, they're worn.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've just had to replace my 52T big ring after, I'm guessing, 3500-4000 miles. Is 6000k really high wear?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Well, I've got much more out of my Ultegra chainsets. It's not as if the chain was slipping for very long either.

Also, the OP refers to both chainrings, whereas you've had to replace just the 52t.

That said, I've recently had to replace the 50t on my 105 and thought I got much less out of it, possibly around 6-7,000 miles as I don't think it's not been through a full year. I'll have to check when I bought it.

Out of interest, did you buy another chainring?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    cjcp wrote:
    Well, I've got much more out of my Ultegra chainsets. It's not as if the chain was slipping for very long either.

Also, the OP refers to both chainrings, whereas you've had to replace just the 52t.

That said, I've recently had to replace the 50t on my 105 and thought I got much less out of it, possibly around 6-7,000 miles as I don't think it's not been through a full year. I'll have to check when I bought it.

Out of interest, did you buy another chainring?

Yeah my small ring is fairly worn to but not skipping yet... Yes I bought a new big ring without replacing any other part of the drive train. I bought a 52T Stronglight ring... I must say though, it already seems to be showing signs of wear in places, the chain wasn't that old, probably 6 months so I thought it might bed in. It's also started to skip now and then, although that may be something to do with worn teeth on the cassette... I was hoping to get away without having to replace the whole lot! It's on the Ribble I bought on B2W with full Tiagra groupset and I can't have done more than 4000 miles yet, I don't think...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.