What are the great London climbs?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
If we had to make a list of 10 great London climbs/hills/"col" what would they be?

My choices:

Denmark Hill
Balham Hill

If you could add a link to google maps of the hills that would be great.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    College Road is pretty tasty
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,014
    Ha ha ha ha ha..... breathe... ha ha ha ha..... I've got a stictch.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Muswell hill, only had the pleasure once.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=muswell ... 39,,0,14.6

One constant steep gradient for about 500/600 metres.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Nightingale Lane in Richmond is a nice short sharp blast.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Bolan Death Bridge
    Col de Putney Bridge
    Mont Chelsea Bridge
    Tower HIll
    Westferry Circus Approach

Five of the best..
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Shooters Hill isn't to bad but all hills in London just aren't long enough. All short and steep.
  • First.Aspect
    My driveway is about 15% and more than 10m long.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    edited August 2011
    Streatham Common North
    South Norwood Hill
    Shirley Hills Road
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Hampton Hill, approached through Bushy Park. It must climb six feet over a hundred yards.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i thought Laaandan was as flat as a witch's boob?!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Any of the approaches to Crystal Palace - Gipsy Hill, College Road / Fountain Drive, Crystal Palace Park Road, Anerley Hill, Central Hill. Sydenham Hill is short and sharp as well. That's 6 that are way tougher than Balham Hill - not sure its going to merit a top 10 placing! Then you've got all the Highgate ones and the Richmond Park ones (Broomfield, Dark, Sawyers).
  • Not exactly Rosedale Chimney, are they? :lol:

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... =99&page=8

Edit: It's strange, because if you do a search by region on the database of great UK climbs, and enter "South East", there are no results at all. Odd, no?
  • JamesFree
    JamesFree Posts: 703
    Blackheath Hill and Canonbie Road (honor oak park)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Not exactly Rosedale Chimney, are they? :lol:

Edit: It's strange, because if you do a search by region on the database of great UK climbs, and enter "South East", there are no results at all. Odd, no?

We're talking city centre climbs, not sure Rosedale Chimney is a fair comparison. Try Kidds Hill, Yorks Hill, one or two of the steeper ones in Surrey (Whitedown?) which are all within an easy ride of London. Of course they are short, but seriously steep and tough climbs.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Col de la maison des chiens perdu*

*with thanks to Gregg from this exchange:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... =#16849068
  • Any climb heading north in the Cotswolds.

that way you can't see London at all and that makes my top 10 climbs of london
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • JamesFree
    And I wouldn't ever class Balham Hill as a climb seriously short and easy hill that you can carry some serious speed up.
  • First.Aspect

Fabulous website. Frustrating because I won't be able to cycle for another 6-9 months, but it gives me something to look forward to!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    North face of Boris?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    BigMat wrote:

We're talking city centre climbs, not sure Rosedale Chimney is a fair comparison. Try Kidds Hill, Yorks Hill, one or two of the steeper ones in Surrey (Whitedown?) which are all within an easy ride of London. Of course they are short, but seriously steep and tough climbs.
    Having done Winterfold (21%) and Whitedown (18%) at the weekend I can confirm that they are indeed hills and right b'stards, especially after a good solo ride. If you're after ones on Surrey, have a look at these
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    Nobody's mentioned Succomb's Hill in Whyteleafe (just about describable as London). 25% narrow, winding and busy with no pavement, so no bailing out allowed. Intense is probably the best adjective.

Can be combined with Marlpit Lane in Old Coulsdon and Titsey Hill for further pain if required.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    JamesFree wrote:

Canonbie Road's a belter. Plus you've got the speed bumps to contend with as well.

Fox Hill and Sylvan Hill are interesting too - short but a good 18% the both of them.

Norbury Hill's a nice long (OK, half a mile tops) 10% with speed bumps too.
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry wrote:
    Nobody's mentioned Succomb's Hill in Whyteleafe (just about describable as London). 25% narrow, winding and busy with no pavement, so no bailing out allowed. Intense is probably the best adjective.

Can be combined with Marlpit Lane in Old Coulsdon and Titsey Hill for further pain if required.
    They are good climbs. Its a shame we don't have an early or late season classic over those roads really.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    rjsterry wrote:

Oh yeah. These are ace. Not what I'd describe as London, but properly testing. St James's Road just off Godstone Road in that neck of the woods is fairly tasty too.
  • JamesFree
    ketsbaia wrote:
    JamesFree wrote:

Canonbie Road's a belter. Plus you've got the speed bumps to contend with as well.

Fox Hill and Sylvan Hill are interesting too - short but a good 18% the both of them.

Norbury Hill's a nice long (OK, half a mile tops) 10% with speed bumps too.

I loop back on myself every commute to take in Canonbie Road :D
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Having done Winterfold (21%) and Whitedown (18%) at the weekend I can confirm that they are indeed hills and right b'stards, especially after a good solo ride. If you're after ones on Surrey, have a look at these

Nice little mapping project you have there.

Winterfold and Whitedown are legbreakers especialy after the cold harbour and leith hill climb.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Annerly hill heading towards Crystal Palace is a little cheeky, there are quite a few round there, short and sharp

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=soa&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&q=anerley+hill&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=866&bih=403&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    If your heading out to Titsey Hill you can go round in a loop and try Whites Lane on the next time up. I think it gains about the same amount of height in about 1/5 the distance ;-)

Whilst your in that neck of the woods do yourself a favour and try Westerham Hill (I think it's "just" inside the M25 so still London yeah?)

As others have said I think the approaches to Crystal Palace certainly merit consideration.

If you are seriously suggesting Balham Hill (or should that be Blip?) then you have to concede that Brixton Hill is slightly more impressive.

The rise up from Queenstown Road is a good testing point, you either have to carry on after the rise before the traffic lights or get a brief respite then do a standing start for the second section after the cross-road.

Haven't been over North London so can't comment on there but have heard some good rumblings from those who like to fight gravity....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    :shock:

That london has hills ???

Up here we used to call them sleeping policemen 8)