Balham Hill

2»

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It has to be my favourite climb on my route!

It's short and not really sharp enough to hurtt

You're not going fast enough if it doesn't hurt.

No seriously, it is too short and shallow to hurt - if you were going fast enough to be in the pain zone it would last a matter of seconds!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    HillVenn.JPG
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    _Brun_ wrote:
    HillVenn.JPG

venny funny.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    BigMat wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

No seriously, it is too short and shallow to hurt - if you were going fast enough to be in the pain zone it would last a matter of seconds!

So it's not a hill then?

:?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Balham Bump would be more accurate.

Although to be fair the road is called Balham Hill.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    BigMat wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

So it's not a hill then?

:?
    My carefully constructed diagram above proves this quite conclusively.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I know where you mean now. Yes, a bump.
    No need to slow down, but effort does increase a bit for the 10-15 secs it takes.

Some people do make it look like the Stelvio.
    exercise.png
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Completely of topic... Was that you this morning DDD? Buzzing along Holborn past my office westward bound? Whoever it was was wearing a red T shirt and black shorts and on some kind of FG/SS affair. I was standing by my bike locking my bike to the racks in the middle of the road. I looked at "you" and you looked back but I wasn't confident enough it was you to yell "hello DDD!" over the traffic...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I never said it was hard to climb I said it was brilliant when it catches people out and they make it look harder than it actually is. While you, who own your pedals, roar to the summit without need of a second breath.

Come on, your better then this! Yes it is rather satisfying overtaking riders who are out of the saddle yanking the bike around whilst you are seated :-) Since I've only done the full CS7 stretch from before Waitose a few times I'm sure there are better incline sections then this that you'd have to deal with each day.

If anything it's the incline coming the opposite way from Stockwell that runs from the traffic lights at the T-junction to Clapham North that can be more fun. It's not quite as steep but is longer. Had a good race up there with another rider a while back and even exchanged a bit of an acknowledgement/smile at the lights :-)

CS7 - Ride through Colliers Wood, Tooting and Balham Hill and you've gone over "the mountains" on that route.

:lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Completely of topic... Was that you this morning DDD? Buzzing along Holborn past my office westward bound? Whoever it was was wearing a red T shirt and black shorts and on some kind of FG/SS affair. I was standing by my bike locking my bike to the racks in the middle of the road. I looked at "you" and you looked back but I wasn't confident enough it was you to yell "hello DDD!" over the traffic...

Nope not me. I'm wearing my blue pearl izumi jacket. My route goes straight to Ele & Castle - London Bridge - Liverpool Street (or Ilford when I have the legs and the time).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    There was a chap last year who would tell me his powertap readings after the "ascent" of the hors catégorie climb that is Balham Hill...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Nope not me. I'm wearing my blue pearl izumi jacket. My route goes straight to Ele & Castle - London Bridge - Liverpool Street (or Ilford when I have the legs and the time).

Oh god, then I was staring with semi familiarity at some random bloke riding along Holborn....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Origamist wrote:
    There was a chap last year who would tell me his powertap readings after the "ascent" of the hors catégorie climb that is Balham Hill...
    And then you looked at him thinking...?
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Origamist wrote:

He's possibly the sort that would record data such as this then

http://www.strava.com/segments/le-col-d ... ney-697135
    FCN = 4