Brachytherapy - prostate cancer

pscyclist
pscyclist Posts: 18
edited May 2016 in The bottom bracket
I'm 59 and a regular road and off-road biker. My 'normal' rides are about 20-25 miles offroad and/or 35-60 miles road riding at a decent pace, three times a week or so.
I was diagnosed with prostate cancer earlier this year. It's not a very exclusive club, I learn, detection is getting better.
I'm looking for experience of getting back to biking after brachytherapy (internal radiotherapy by implanting 'seed' isotopes). I had this treatment on Monday 1st August and things are going OK but I am very keen to know when I'll be fit to cycle again and whether there are any risks or side effects. My consultant says 'when you feel like it' and knows of no side effects, but I'm not sure she has spoken to many cyclists! There must be others out there who have experience of this but I'm struggling to find any first hand experience - anybody help? Thanks

Comments

• Welcome pscyclist. Vague advice about the benefits of exercise coupled with little expertise seems to be about par for the NHS, and their ''live well'' web pages also seem very coy about contacts to people with specific expertise. I'd try giving CTC a call. Also, these guys might be able to give advice or point you in the right direction: http://www.cycling.org.uk/cycle-health-consultancy.

Though you won't need the training, cycling trainers/instructors must also have to respond to health questions for prospective trainees. It sounds like you want to know what they need to know.

My own approach to getting back on a bike with a biggish health problem was to simply get back on the bike and see whether I got home alive afterwards. It's worked for me so far...but don't take that as advice.

I wish you a speedy return to health and cycling.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Nothing to say except good luck!
  • Thanks guys. dm - I searched the CTC site and couldn't find anything but I'll try contacting them, thanks for the other contact too.
  • Let us know if you have any joy - it's useful to know.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    I have similar problems 'down there' but not cancer. As you say it is quite a widespread thing for gentlemen of a 'certain age'. We have both encountered the difficulties associated with having an unusual hobby/lifestyle for this country. The standard NHS response, for me, has been ignorance coupled with curiosity that such a fat, old man should be in such robust health, with indicators moving in a positive direction when tested.

If you are lucky you may encounter medical advice based on some understanding of cycling as a form of healthy recreational pursuit and receive knowledgable guidance. The rest of us have to put up with a pursing of lips, comments about the dangers of venturing onto the roads and the joys of the use of helmets. In short, use your own common sense, listen to your body and act in moderation. As that is what you have probably been doing all along, you should not do too badly.

Sorry for the lack of specifics and good luck.

Chris.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I've no personal experience, I'm pleased to say, but a friend of mine has been treated for prostate cancer recently. He cycled throughout the treatment as much as he could (not much at times) but is now cycling as much as before. He's been to China recently and rides audaxes. I think he's in his mid-sixties.

So it seems it isn't the end of the world usually. Best of luck and listen to the doctors. I'm lucky in that my GP is a cyclist and even brought up the TdeF website to check on the day's stage on my last visit.
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    seems a good time to say get a recumbent. there cannot be any objection to that.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • I have had some useful advice and reassurance both here, from other sites and directly but I haven't found anyone on this or other forums able or willing to share direct experience.
    So...I'll keep a note of progress (and any set backs) when I get back on my bike and I'll post something on this thread for anybody who follows in my tracks.
    Thanks all. P
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Good luck, both with the prostate ca and the cycling!

There are a few charity rides for prostate cancer organised nationally.

http://www.tourride.co.uk/
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    try the ctc forum . lots of old blokes on there.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • I didn't get direct experience from the CTC the Prostate Cancer charity, though both were helpful. So, after a few false starts and several weeks of driving my family and friends to distraction by being a grumpy b*****d, I have been back on the bike for three weeks or so. After nearly three months out I am building up the road miles and off-road riding hours gradually, as my fitness and stamina have suffered a bit, but otherwise it is going fine. Treatment going fine too. If anybody finds themselves in a similar position PM me for more info.
    I have celebrated by buying some (more) carbon loveliness.
  • nice one, good to hear you're back on two wheels - now stop moaning at your family and start enjoying this lovely weather.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Good for you. Not a current problem but I have regular, annual, tests. A worthwhile investment by the time 60 rolls up IMO.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • I had brachytherapy on 23 May and have been told no cycling for three months. I'm 65 and still racing LVRC events so it's a bit frustrating to say the least. To be honest I don't think I'd be able to sit on the saddle yet, even though its a Specialized Romin Evo, more comfortable in the perineum than the toupe. The consultant at Royal Surrey (Guildford) was clued up about cycling and suggested a saddle called "Adamo" might make things easier when I start riding again.
  • brianonyx
    brianonyx Posts: 170
    I have been undergoing treatment for acute prostatitus with some very horrible antibiotics. After 3 months off the bike I have this saddle

http://cobbcycling.com/cart/V-Flow_Plus_White_C1P3.cfm it is made by the same guy who mass the adamo.

My urologist had told me to change my saddle as he says he sees lots and lots and lots of cyclists with prostrate and erection problems. The first thing he recommends is changing saddles.
  • pscyclist
    ianfranlklin, you have PM.
    It took a while to get my fitness back but cycling was going well. However, owing to an off road OTB three weeks ago I have a broken clavicle. I have stuck with my Charge saddles, on and off road, and they are fine, but I can only use the turbo at the moment...
  • Nbk72mt
    Nbk72mt Posts: 1
    All I am having seed implant mid June and was hoping to do my first century ride 10/30 for JDRF. Have been told get of the bike for 3 months. Is that really necessary. How about 2 months. Most of the radiation is already emitted by then. Thanks for any feedback or experience
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    Nbk72mt wrote:
    Most of the radiation is already emitted by then.

You'll glow in the dark and that means that if you take too long and the sun goes down, they'll be able to find you.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pscyclist
    Nbk72mt wrote:
    How about 2 months.

I've just looked back at the diary I kept during treatment.

I was back on a bike within three weeks, just 5k or so, and I started trying to build up from there. I had a few setbacks, trouble peeing after riding too long and headaches (hydration?) mainly. I was off roading again after 8 weeks and regularly doing 100kms road rides after ten weeks - though I was a bit out of condition. I stuck with (and stick with) my Charge Spoon saddles apart for my first rides on my ancient Brooks perch.

It was nearly five years ago now and all's fine. I guess experiences vary but mine was pretty good and I hope yours is!