V brake squeek/squeel - £10 Apollo bike

robb_o
robb_o Posts: 332
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone I bought a cheap rubbish Apollo bike off my mate for riding to shops and stuff cos i'm always too worried about leaving my Orange anywhere.

Aaaanyway, both front and back V brakes make a horrible squeek/squeel noise. and i can feel it judder when i pull the front one.

the bike isn't dirty really.

i put bike oil on the back brake pads once cos it annoyed me so much and that wore off eventually and back to the noise.

what techniques/stuff do u recommend to get rid of this noise without having to spend any money? i got some white spirit if that helps?

Oh and when I first bought the bike off my mate i gave it a good tune up.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    set the toe on the pads. check they are not full of crap.

see Parktools for setting up the pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably judders because the caliper is made out of pressed tin.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed, the levers are probably cheap and nasty and the bushes worn so they are twisting under braking into massive toe out!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • robb_o
    robb_o Posts: 332
    They are proper cheap and rubbish.

I'll check out this toe thing on google, i've always just set up brake pads so they contact the rim flat-on.

i'm gonna clean the rim and scrub the pads with white spirit this weekend see if that helps...
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    White sprirt leaves an oily residue, meths would be better, or give the pads a little rough up with some fine sandpaper.