How do I remove headset cups?

Darra8
Darra8 Posts: 721
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Just bought an Inbred frame that has a cups already fitted and would like to swap to a better quality headset.

Is it possible to remove the cups without the proper tools?

Also, can I install using some large washers and threaded rod?

Thanks,

Steve
40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Look inside the headtube you should be able to see the headset cups, it is posible to use a piece of wood to gentle tap the cup out, move around the cup and gentle tap, it will pop out eventually.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Also, can I install using some large washers and threaded rod?

Depends on the headset and its relative cost.

£100 headset, I'd use proper tools all round -perhaps a 10-20 job just to fit, but might do free or cheaper if you buy from the shop.

30 quid one, I'd give it a go yourself with washers and wood, but it can depend on the the cups.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I use my persuader* for this job, both to get them out and install new ones

*big hammer
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As above big hammer and screwdriver to get them out, hammer and bit of wood to whack them in.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    weirdly i was trying to make some tools for this job last night out of bits lying around in the garage.

for removal I am trying a length of alu pipe with slits cut in it so can deform as you push in but springs back to catch the lip of the cup

and a press made out of one of those things you use to attach a ladder to your roofrack

am going to try them out tonight

alternatively yes the hammer.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    IME of doing this a press is always better and easier to control. You just need the biggest nut and bolt you can find and some lumps of wood with holes drilled in
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    you can also push them home if you have a vice but place a piece of wood on each cup before you start clamping, also easier to do one at a time.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Darra8
    Darra8 Posts: 721
    Thanks Guys.

Steve
    40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!
  • I use a wooden mallet, find it more than acceptable, also good for taking cranks off :)
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    I have installed all my headsets with a piece of threaded bar and 4 2" square washers, 2 each end stops them deforming and making sure they go in even. Make sure you properly grease te headtube and cup ro help it slide in. You can also add a 1/18 diameter round washer to help seay the cups centrally, all for a under a £10 from B&Q including spare bars and a couple of extra nuts.

I wouldn't do a hammer and wood as you might put them in wonky. Any piece of pipe or wood and a rubber mallet will get them out but may not be reusable.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    update,

the ladder roof rack; one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Roof- ... B000NWJQ64

was perfect and i guess plenty of people have them knocking about

ideally just need a couple of washers OD larger than the headset.
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    I made my own press with heavy duty washers & threaded bar, it worked ok but I found it hard to get the cups in straight to start with, I resorted to a plank of wood and a mallet to get it started - then used my press to push down and seat it.