advice on new crankset

a7lus
a7lus Posts: 8
edited August 2011 in The workshop
New to forums hi!..i have a trek 7.6 fx 2010 hybrid with a threaded left sided crank arm. My local bike shop said they cant get a replacement from trek the part is oem?? They have recomended a shimano deore crankset as a replacement. ..Like for like. I thought that was a mountain bike crankset? The cost would be £75 anyhow is there any advice you can give me yourselves. What about a shimano sora tiagra etc... The crankset is a fsa vero triple 30 39 50. Any help is much appreciated

Comments

• Left Pedal is threaded? You mean the threads where a crank extractor fits have been stripped?
    Surely any square taper pedal arm will suffice, make sure the new on is the same length (170/175?), If you don't mind mis-matched cranks you could spend a lot less than £75.

Check the chainring sizes on the Deore match your old chainset before giving them the go ahead unless you want to spin like a spinny thing.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • a7lus
    a7lus Posts: 8
    My lbs said that the fsa crank was a one off for my trek mention something spline to me? ?? I tried online stores but couldnt match what i had. Anyhow seeing that it was my brotherwho damaged it he has footed the bill for a new shimano sora crankset wuth external bracket.