Chairlift bike park in the UK!

tombarton
tombarton Posts: 132
edited August 2011 in MTB general
http://penninebikepark.com/#

Please visit the site above and register your interest with a facebook like! The project needs help to secure funding so it's important to show some support!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Interesting, though a "high speed chairlift" sounds like some massive funding required not to mention big fees to use it. If it's the kind of chairlift you'd find at a ski resort that is.

If they are planning to make use of it outside of bike use as a ski resort would then maybe it would pay for itself. Problem with MTB is the majority are out at the weekends only.
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Giving some constructive critisism:

Why is there an image of flat singlatrack when your aim for chairlift access MTB?

You mention Ski lift resorts. Why is this relevant?
    Why do you not mention Scottish projects which would be more relevent?
    Landscape: Just north is an even better landsape. You need a different angle
    The Park: Where is the info? Why would I want to ride there?

I'm all for registering interest but there isn't a good enough case. Where are the tourist projections? Added value to the local econemy....etc..
    Feasabilty study?
    Wildlife impact?

As much as I would like to, I won't back something where it looks like the homework hasn't been done.
  • tombarton
    I'm afraid this isn't my doing. I'm merely trying to spread the word as i feel it would be an excellent addition to the UK.
  • tombarton
    And I am sure that the required research has been done or is in motion as the project is at a very early stage and the team are just trying to guage the level of interest.
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    If the required research has been done then why is it not published? Gauging the level of interest is the easy part. Proving that you can provide what people want is a different battle. Then convincing local authorities is even harder.

I don't mean to be negative. I just know how these things work. :)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    There is of course a huge difference between established profitable ski resorts attempting to add to their portfolio of products by introducing a summer product and building something purely to serve the mountain bike community.

Arguably the benefit in the Uk is that there is no down time i.e no autumn and spring when the lifts don't run but in the wetter months the potential for damaged trails means year round trail up keep will be pretty costly.

You can pick up second hand lifts from the larger ski resorts at a fraction of the cost of new although the installing and engineering changes dont come cheap.

I doubt the vertical of the Pennines (at least where you'd be permitted to put a lift) justifies the cost of installing and the cost of running will hit the number of users - bare in mind that a 21 euro day ticket accesses the entire portes du soleil network of 650km trails. If you offer 10 downhill or downward oriented trails say, with a few hundred metres of vertical you wont want to be charging much more than a tenner a day.

I'd rather see less money spent on building an extended number of trail centres and trail advocacy.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Sounds like it could be a very good idea but it does appear to be rather vague yet. Is this a very new idea/company? I would most likely support it/donate to it with more information provided.
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Lift- bad Idea, let em ride up lazy feckers :lol:
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    It would be interesting to see how they think they can power it without any carbon emissions? It does sound like an interesting project, but as others have said more in depth info would be good.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would bet the locals and environmentalists will have something to say about slapping chair lift pylons up a hill also.

I'm all for it though, don't get me wrong, but to support it we need to see this isn't just someone's fantasy and is a genuine business proposition.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,235
    Fairly good idea but the website looks like the preamble of kids as it lacks information.

No idea of where its planned," the pennines" is hardly descriptive and what makes them think they'll get any sort of permission to build there?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • tombarton
    I have spoken to the people involved and they do seem to know what they are doing. They have done a lot more work than the website shows but as of yet nothing is confirmed so can't be published. A whistler A-Line type trail is part of their plans which is great as there is nothing like this anywhere in the UK!

If you have any questions just email them!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    There's already a gondola-assisted bike-park being built in south wales as we speak, and i believe permission has been granted for inners, so it won't be the first, as the info on the website seems to suggest. Though it would be nice, I doubt it will happen.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    I can see why lifts are at ski resorts, climbing a hill on skis isn't easy.

But on a bike climbing the hills are the best thing. The challenge and knowing you beat a mountain. They have ski lifts in the USA which says it all.

Just like they have gyms with escalators :)

411200892904AM_onlyinamerica.jpg
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,235
    gilesjuk wrote:

But on a bike climbing the hills are the best thing. The challenge and knowing you beat a mountain. They have ski lifts in the USA which says it all.

You can ski in the US you know...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    gilesjuk wrote:

Just like they have gyms with escalators :)
    You don't ride downhill, do you?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    gilesjuk wrote:
    But on a bike climbing the hills are the best thing. The challenge and knowing you beat a mountain.

Everywhere I've ever done an uplift, getting down the mountain has been enormously more challenging than riding up.
    Uncompromising extremist