Browser vs IQ

Ginjafro
Ginjafro Posts: 572
edited August 2011 in The bottom bracket
So the BBC are reporting a study thet claims users of Internet Explorer apparently have a lower IQ then users of other Browsers! Personally I don't bother with IE 'cause IMO its just shite, not because I am slightly brighter than a Chimp. I use Firefox, don't ask me why, but means I am quite average. However, really intelligent people use browsers I've never heard of, so I must be thick. Should I sue the researchers for the slur on my character and merely being very average? :?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878
Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
Cove Hustler
Planet X Pro-Carbon

Comments

• bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    So by the kind of logic used by the Beeb, users of Opera will be richer, better dressed and have much better taste in music?
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I spent years learning different editors/wordprocessors/programming languages when I was paid to do it. Now I'm gainfully retired I can't be arsed learning yet another browser - Firefox forever :lol:
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    They're all the fuking same to me :?
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    I use Opera on my laptop, Safari on my desktop/iPhone and Firefox on my work pc and netbook. Does that mean that my IQ drops a few points when I'm at work? Maybe I should wait till I next use my laptop before I try to answer that question.
  • Doesn't surprise me but the study is probably more around whether people understand how to look for alternatives to IE. Haven't used it myself for years.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I use Safari and I'm a jenius.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    The study is obviously bull.

The IQ numbers are too low to actually work out how to turn a browser on in the first place.

It's embarassing that the BBC aired it. However, since the BBC tech reporters loves Apple and fawn over their every more, any chance to Microsoft bash will be eagerly seized upon.

Sad really.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    guinea wrote:
    The study is obviously bull.

The IQ numbers are too low to actually work out how to turn a browser on in the first place.

It's embarassing that the BBC aired it. However, since the BBC tech reporters loves Apple and fawn over their every more, any chance to Microsoft bash will be eagerly seized upon.

Sad really.

I think this was reported in quite a few places. The BBC don't really seem to be taking it too seriously.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Surely it's just another variation on picking out those that settle for the default v those that hunt out change. Who knows? Doesn't affect me anyway - 6 months ago I couldn't even spell intelligent. Now I are one.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Oh but but stop stop. It's all a hoax. Really.

Internet Explorer Story Was A Hoax
  • Yet another case of SLOPPY journalism. They might want to start checking thier facts before trying to be first

If you put something on line call it scientific research then the BBC will publish it before checking it.

They are OFTEN caught out with this type of lazy reporting
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • amun1000
    amun1000 Posts: 242
    bill57 wrote:
    So by the kind of logic used by the Beeb, users of Opera will be richer, better dressed and have much better taste in music?

I completely agree (user of Opera for many years) :D
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    CiB wrote:

Oh fantastic, I'm just stupid for another reason....
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    CiB wrote:

Hmmm. Hoax or not I can confirm I use IE and I am thick as pigsh*t. There may be some truth in this after all...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    IE use is more down to a lack of interest in technology IMHO. Some of the most intelligent people I know have no interest in computers other than for basic email and word processing function, so they have no reason to use anything other than IE.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I left IE years ago and went to Firefox and loved it for a long time, though have now left it behind and I now use Chrome.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    IE use is more down to a lack of interest in technology IMHO. Some of the most intelligent people I know have no interest in computers other than for basic email and word processing function, so they have no reason to use anything other than IE.

Yep that's me, brain the size of a planet but find computers as boring as sh!t. I regard my computer as I do my washing machine, as long as it works and lets me check my email and my fave websites I don't care...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.