On-One Carbon 456 Rear Brake Caliper Problem

Deezer-D
Deezer-D Posts: 99
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Got an issue with my C456 rear brake Caliper fouling the seat stay and knocking the Caliper off centre and rubbing on the rotor. Running slot singlespeed dropouts with 8 speed Alfine rear hub, 160mm centre-lock rotor and Formula Oro K18s.
Any C456 owners have this issue?
Would moving to 180mm rotor help?
Cheers
D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    got any pics?

I guess with the cogs you are running the hub is very near to the minimum chainstay length.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Deezer-D
    No pics, sorry. Left it with LBS earlier to have the BB and cranks fitted and the mechanic just noticed it as I was leaving. I should have a 180mm adaptor that came with the K18s. It's as if the Caliper is sitting too far towards the rear.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got 180mm rotors with K18s, but with normal geared dropouts and I've had no issues.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Certain brake calipers can foul the seatstay on Carbon 456's. But, never fear, we've developed a new swap-out specifically to cure this problem. It's known as the B2, and available here: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSOOSWAP/on ... al-dropout. Hope that helps.
  • Deezer-D
    Cheers guys but I have horizontal dropouts as I'm running an Afine on the rear.
    Jon, that dropout won't work for me in this instance
  • dc71
    dc71 Posts: 170
    I'm running Oro K24's with vertical dropouts and 180 rotors, and clearance is fine. If you got the 180mm adapter with your Oros then try fitting that first (before you buy rotor) just to see if clearance is OK.

Are your dropouts like this:
    FSOOCNCSO_P1.JPG
    If so, the slotted holes for the caliper mounts will allow you some fore/aft movement of the caliper adapter. Check if you can move it a little forward to clear the seatstays?

Link to slot swapout with slotted caliper mounts
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSOOCNCSO/on-one-cnc-anodized-swap-out
  • Deezer-D
    dc71

I have these (I think they are the same as the red ones you posted).

FSOOCNCSO_P2.jpg

The mounting bracket is as far forward as it can go in the slots. I did get an a 180mm adaptor with the K18s so I'm dropping it off with the LBS (the bike is there having the BB & chainset / chain fitted and steerer tube cut) and get them to check. He has some second-hand 180mm centre-lock rotors too that he can throw on.

Got an e-mail from On-One who think the 180mm should be fine - fingers crossed!

Cheers
    D
  • dc71
    dc71 Posts: 170
    Just checked mine again and realised the clearance is tight, about 1mm between the bolt at the top of the caliper and the seatstay. Hopefully it'll come out the same for yours with the slot dropouts and the 180 adapter.

It's got me wondering whether the new shimano calipers (with the finned pads) would fit.

BTW what size is your frame? Mine's 16 which would also mean the lower-angled seat stay comes closer to the caliper. I guess the clearance gets tighter the smaller the framesize.
  • Deezer-D
    dc71

Mine is a 16" too. Hopefully moving to 180 will sort it, if not, I'll need to look at different brakes. Hope not though as the K18s are brand new
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I tried a 160mm when I got mine and my caliper fouled the frame. Stuck a 180mm adapter and disc on and problem solved.
  • Deezer-D
    kenan

Cheers kenan. What brakes are you running?
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Formula Oro. One of the bolts on the calliper was rubbing on the seat stay meaning I had no movement in the caliper and then the disk was being fouled by the calliper. Mine is running normal drop-outs if that makes a difference?

I sold my rotor and brake mount on ebay for £15 and then got 180mm disk and brake mount from Superstar. I can get a picture if you want to see my set-up for clearance?
  • Deezer-D
    kenan wrote:
    Formula Oro. One of the bolts on the calliper was rubbing on the seat stay meaning I had no movement in the caliper and then the disk was being fouled by the calliper. Mine is running normal drop-outs if that makes a difference?

I sold my rotor and brake mount on ebay for £15 and then got 180mm disk and brake mount from Superstar. I can get a picture if you want to see my set-up for clearance?

That's exactly what's happening to mine.
    I've dropped the 180 adaptor off at my LBS and will give him a shot later to see if it solved the problem.
    Cheers
    D
  • Deezer-D
    All sorted. My LBS used the 180mm adaptor to push the caliper further forward into the rear triangle.
    Just need the chain fitting and we're good to go