Trouble removing wheel hub bearing

h34e0f
h34e0f Posts: 370
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
So I'm cleaning out my wheel hubs but came across a problem; the side with the disc has some sort of cover over the normal bearing cap. And I can't work out how to remove it! The other side was problem free.

As shown in the photo below, it is the silver part with the toothed hole in it. Do I need a special tool? Couldn't find any suitable videos on YouTube...

IMAG0606.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you need a cassette removal tool.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The toothed thing holds the rotor on! Use a cassette tool to remove it. O

This is centrelock.
  • h34e0f
    I was thinking as much. Am I risking messing my brake up if I remove it or should it be okay providing I make sure it's straight when I replace it?
  • h34e0f
    Also is there a Shimanno specific one or are they a general fitment?
  • nicklouse
    h34e0f wrote:
    I was thinking as much. Am I risking messing my brake up if I remove it or should it be okay providing I make sure it's straight when I replace it?

just take it off. you cant mess anything up as there is nothing to mess up, unless you handle the braking surface and dont clean it after.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    h34e0f wrote:
    Also is there a Shimanno specific one or are they a general fitment?
    well a Campy one will not fit.
  • h34e0f
    nicklouse wrote:
    h34e0f wrote:

just take it off. you cant mess anything up as there is nothing to mess up, unless you handle the braking surface and dont clean it after.

Okay, was just checking because I've had lots of problems with a miss-seated disc in the past.
  • h34e0f
    Thanks for the info guys.