Fell off in Wandsworth this morning

andrewlwood
andrewlwood Posts: 224
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
Came a cropper on a wet white line trying to avoid a silver car with poor lane discipline coming through the one-way system up to Wandsworth Town.

A couple of friendly cyclists stopped to check I was okay - thanks if any of you are reading this.

No real damage done - ripped a fingernail off, and split a helmet clean in half, plus some battle scars on my elbows, knees, shoes and shifters. Just finished sorting the bike and retaping the handlebars, and I'm now itching for my finger to heal enough so I can get out again, hopefully by the weekend!

1. Wear a helmet kids!
2. Cyclists are usually nice.

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Get well soon fella
  • Take it easy fella, 50% of cage operators should be shot & at least 50% of the remainder forced to do retraining on a weekly basis.
  • If you meaningfully damage a helmet you should get yourself into hospital ASAP. They may run prefunctory tests, but they should be run in any case.
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    If you meaningfully damage a helmet you should get yourself into hospital ASAP. They may run prefunctory tests, but they should be run in any case.

Especially as a helmet that splits (rather than compresses like it is supposed to) will have done nothing to protect your brain from the impact.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • Thanks folks, appreciate your concern and advice.

I believe that in splitting, a helmet is still absorbing quite a lot of energy. There was plenty of evidence of compression too! Got checked out anyway (on your advice and that of some other people more sensible than me), and no sign of any concussion; finger is frickin' sore though.

I can't really blame the car driver - though EVERYONE drifts across lanes coming out of that junction - they start on the far right hand lane and because it's a tight turn, end up one or even two lanes over. It was nominated one of the worst junctions in London recently, and with good reason. When I'm back on the bike, I'll sit in the far right hand lane each time I think.

Also gave me an excuse for new gloves, helmet, bar tape (did a much better job this time) and jersey. Hurrah!
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    glad you're pretty much ok!

want to show us on google maps where this exactly was? it was wet this morning!

i cycle round the one way system here sometimes and its not very friendly!
  • Sure - it's right here
    http://www.google.com/maps?q=wandsworth ... 01,9.758,0

So you see that coming round the corner, there's the temptation for cars to move across a lane - 2 out of three do it, I reckon. Okay if you're watching for it, UNLESS there's a slippery white line in your way and you're not paying attention to the road surface!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Sorry to hear about your fall but glad you are ok, thats the main thing!

I fell off whilst on my way to Paris a week or so ago and if it were not for my helmet i think i would have been very very seriously hurt! I got away with some pretty bad bruising and swelling in my shoulder but the old head was fine!

I dont want to start a debate but I will never cycle without a helmet and that fall has made me 100% sure of that!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    Sorry to hear about your fall but glad you are ok, thats the main thing!

I fell off whilst on my way to Paris a week or so ago and if it were not for my helmet i think i would have been very very seriously hurt! I got away with some pretty bad bruising and swelling in my shoulder but the old head was fine!

I dont want to start a debate but I will never cycle without a helmet and that fall has made me 100% sure of that!

Cycled to work this morning with a throbbing finger but everything else all fine - thinking of trying out Dulwich and Kingston clubs this weekend.

You'll get no argument from me about helmets - they've saved me twice in unplanned dismounts. tried out my brand new Kask this morning and loved it! I don't understand comments about 'looking cool' - they're so ubiquitous with the exception of the fakenger crowd that there's no stigma any more.
  • Dannyboy95
    Dannyboy95 Posts: 245
    Ouch thats a nasty crash. Look after your self mate.
    cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
    :Giant Roam 3
    :Bianchi Nirone 7