Marathon Plus, time to renew

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Done my weekly 'pick out the debris' routine and have finally decide to renew the Marathon Plus..

2,818 miles on the front, then moved to the rear for a further 3,587 miles. Total mileage 6,405, not worn out by any means but quite a few slits and cuts and no tread on the centre section.

Happy with that. A few people were against swapping the front to the rear but it seemed to work fine.

Current front tyre (Durano) is still looking good, lots of little digs but nothing major - 3450 miles so far.

Can't beat a Schwalbe for commuting.

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Around half a penny per mile then, that's pretty awesome.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    Impressive.

What did you have on the front for the missing 137miles? Or is that taking wheelies into account? :)
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Any punctures on either?

I've had a pair of Luganos on the road bike for 800 miles and they have proved bulletproof so far.
  • Oops, looks like I've missed a week of data somewhere, being a bit anal over my numbers I'll be investigating the mismatch when I get home tonight!

2 p*nctures in the Marathon Plus. One was an industrial staple, legs were about 1cm in length and one totally sunk itself into the tyre (it deflated when I pulled it out with pliers), the second I have no idea what it was but it left a perfectly round hole about 3mm in diameter smack bang in the middle of the tyre...which is still there.

No p*nctures in the Durano on the front.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    I agree, its all about the Schwalbe for commuting.

I have a standard Marathon on the front that has done 14,500 miles (5 punctures), and a marathon plus on the rear that has done 8,500 (1 puncture). Both getting a bit thin on tread but hoping they have a few thousand miles left in them, and will then replace with 2x marathon plus..I loves them I do!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    The rear Marathon plus on my Roadrat has done at least 10,000 miles and it doesn't look particularly worn. It has had 1 puncture, a 2" thorn

It started off as a front tyre on the old single speed bike. When the old rear was worn smooth and bits of the anti puncture strip could be seen I put the front on the back and the new tyre on the front. Always have the best tyre on the front because the front steers.

Marathon Plus aren't comfy or fast or grippy but they are reassuring
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    vorsprung wrote:
    Always have the best tyre on the front because the front steers.

And brakes!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I'll be popping some marathons on my new wheels on Saturday.
  • i get about 3 punctures a year - in 6000 miles and I just run what ever is the cheapest tyre available as I need them.

Used to run M+ but think most important thing is to have pressure up high - 120psi
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Used to run M+ but think most important thing is to have pressure up high - 120psi

The theory is that if the pressure is higher then there is less chance of the tyre deforming around the pointy thing and a puncture occurring.

Most important thing is that it works for you.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Haven't had a puncture in the 2-3 years of running Marathon Pluses, and that's going over the glass-paved roads of West & Central London. The previous puncture-resistant Bontragers were good, but still got a puncture every month or so.

Marathon Pluses may not be fast, grippy, cheap, comfortable or easy to put on, but no punctures in winter make them sooooo worthwhile!
  • being a bit anal over my numbers I'll be investigating the mismatch when I get home tonight!

Phew I can relax now, I've worked it out! :wink:

I swapped the front with the back first, decided to swap the then front onto the back of my hacker and that's when I fitted the Durano..the gap being 137 miles.

Note to self: must get out more. :D
  • Just thought I'd do a comparison photo..

Brand new vs. 6400 miles:

marathonplus.jpg
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i bought a set of marathons for my dad when we both bought our tricrosses

mine have so far done 1900 miles since march an his have done about 200. im quite impressed with how much "meat" is still on mine

"high on bikes" do marathons + for £23 each
    Keeping it classy since '83