Norf Laan Commuters... Route from Kings Cross to Potters Bar

2»

Comments

• i ride the a1000 to potters bar often... doesnt seem that much of a climb to me :?
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    The Great North is an old coaching road. Where it goes up Barnet Hill there is an artificial ramp to reduce the gradient. In the days before cars (or bikes) coaches had an extra team of horses hitched to get them up the ramp.
    I've been living in Barnet for about 15 years now and it still feels like a climb to me.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • dondare
    rubertoe wrote:
    Or bare left at Barnet church and carry on past the hospital and turn right at the Arkely Hotel on to Galley Lane/Trotters Bottom and follow untill you get to the Roundabout - straight over is Dancers Hill Road....

It is tempting to take in Trotters Bottom simply because it is called Trotters Bottom.
  • dondare
    spasypaddy wrote:
    thats a nice route but exceedingly complex!

from hampstead heath id head down the hill to golders green station, take the third exit on the roundabout towards temple fortune, then its a straight road all the way to high barnet, turn right at the church and onwards to potters bar

That'd be Finchley Road; Regents Park Road; Ballards Lane: High Road. A bit busy, perhaps.
    But there is that statue on the corner of Finchley Road and the North Circular.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    dondare wrote:
    The Great North is an old coaching road. Where it goes up Barnet Hill there is an artificial ramp to reduce the gradient. In the days before cars (or bikes) coaches had an extra team of horses hitched to get them up the ramp.
    I've been living in Barnet for about 15 years now and it still feels like a climb to me.

It is definatly a climb up to Barnet coming in from the South. no doubt about it - I have always lived in barnet (31 years) and its called High Barnet cos its HIGH - on top of a hill.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    dondare wrote:
    someones been to the barnet museum on wood street!

Barnet boy born and bred myself, primary school, secondary school, parents, my flat, my job.

Barnet is awesome!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    spasypaddy wrote:
    dondare wrote:
    someones been to the barnet museum on wood street!

Barnet boy born and bred myself, primary school, secondary school, parents, my flat, my job.

Barnet is awesome!

This ^^^^

Mrs Rubertoe and I are both Barnet born and Bred - thought about moving out to Potters Bar to get more bricks for our buck! neither of us really wanted to so we didnt.

She has never been in Barnet Museum and everytime we walk past she saye "we must go in there....".
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills