what to carry when out biking for a day.

Comments

• tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    i carry more than i need in the hope that one day i will be called on to assist sexy, young lady mountainbikers, all sweaty and muddy, with their various mechanical problems.

to date i've helped a couple of middle aged men and a married couple from rotherham.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Njee: what's the point of carrying CO2 if you don't always have a tube, and you don't carry a puncture repair kit?

Tubeless, never needed a tube!
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    njee20 wrote:
    Njee: what's the point of carrying CO2 if you don't always have a tube, and you don't carry a puncture repair kit?

Tubeless, never needed a tube!

show off!
  • bigpee
    bigpee Posts: 205
    I did have a saddle bag until it broke and I nearly lost it. Only seatpost velcro strap kept it in place. Since then I use a camelbak mule which along with water contains:
    1 inner tube
    tyre levers
    patches
    pump
    multi-tool
    swiss army knife
    phone
    keys
    rag
    energy gel
    cable ties
    power links
    chain tool
    small spare led light
    plasters
    emergency foil blanket (was more for a really bad off in winter but takes up no space)
    torch batteries if night ride

I really need to add some duck tape but haven't yet.
    Current bikes:
    Norco Sight 3 SE (on order)
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Commencal META 55 custom build (Stolen :( )
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
    GT Avalance 1.0 2006(ish)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I like to carry a trailor with a spare engine in it.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    For a full day out my Mule gets this:

water (obviously)
    2 inner tubes
    tyre levers (1 with duck tape wrapped around it)
    patches (and tyre boots)
    pump
    multi-tool
    knife
    phone
    keys
    cable ties
    power links
    small first-aid kit (with a tenner hidden inside it)
    food (haribo + something more substantial)
    camera
    sometimes a bottle of some other drink for when I get tired of water

In winter there's a whole other bunch of stuff (hat, extra gloves, lights, etc).

Anything less than 3-ish hrs and it's just a bottle of water, pump, and a saddle-bag with a tube, multi-tool and keys in it. Maybe a gilet stuffed in a jersey pocket.
  • Short rides:

Pump
    patches
    2x tyre levers
    spare tube
    multi-tool (free p.o.s. that's falling apart)
    500ml water bottle
    keys
    phone
    assorted bolts & screws from somewhere or other
    swiss army knife

Extras for longer rides:

2l hydration pack
    wallet
    waterproof (it's light and I rarely listen to forecasts)
    lunch (depending on what time of day I'm going)
    camera
    Big guy; small air!
  • Oh, and cable ties. All the time.
    Big guy; small air!
  • guy72277
    guy72277 Posts: 74
    Maybe some of the people who carry very little do so because they know they're riding with those who carry a lot.

I've been on many rides where I've had to "lend" innertubes, patches, chain links, brake pads, tools, and food because the person I'm riding with has nothing. Actually it's often me who has to fix stuff too. Don't really mind, except when something happens to my bike and I have no patches left or I forgot to buy a new chain link having fixed someone elses.

My Camelbak's pretty full, but anyway the SAS train with Bergens full of sand, so a heavy backpack can only improve fitness.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I had a couple of situations where I have broken a link, so I've started carrying the end of the chain that you normally trim on when fitting a chain. It means a temporary repair is permanent, as you just replace the link rather than shortening the chain.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    For short/XC/road rides/races

Bottle on the frame

Saddlebag with:-
    Tube
    CO2 kit
    Tiny pump
    Small multi-tool
    SRAM powerlink
    Adhesive patches

In jersey pockets
    Energy bars/gels as applicable
    5-10EUR for the cafe stop
    Phone in a little zip bag with an old Driving licence photocard and my KNWU (Dutch version of British Cycling) membership cards, plus some headphones for if/when i get dropped on the club run

Longer trail rides I take the above in a Camelbak
    derailleur hanger
    Slightly more robust multi tool
    Fold up chain tool
    Space blanket and Small first aid kit
    Swap the tiny pump for a Turbo morph with some gaffer tape round it
    Zip ties
    Waterproofs/warm clothes as applicable
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I've just added a bit of chain to my pack as I can't really afford to shorten the chain now is it's just right atm and any less and i can't use the middle ring, large sprocket combo.
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    Appart from all the usual guff i also carry Nitrile (latex) gloves, two reasons,1 nowt worse than getting chain lube all over your new 661 gloves, 2 if you come accross an accident or have to administer first aid you don't want to get someone elses blood on you or risk passing on you germs to someone else. (Ex St John Ambulance) Nitrile are best as some people can have a Latex allergy.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I've also just added a a gear cable
  • stu100
    stu100 Posts: 40
    Multi tool
    Spare Tube, cant be doing trying to fix a puncture
    Tyre levers
    Mini pump
    Phone
    Keys
    2 bottles of fluid 3 if hot
    Fig rolls
    Jelly Babies
    Mini Mars
    Lucozade tablets
    Some loose change
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    For rides up to 3hrs;
    2 spare tubes
    pump
    first aid kit (with lemsip!)
    tyre levers
    multi-tool
    leatherman
    lube
    water/juice
    Phone/GPS

For rides over 3 hrs;
    all the above +
    more water/juice
    food (banana, nuts, chocolate)
    map!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    Camelbak with:
      Mini Pump Shock Pump (once the new bike arrives) Tyre leavers MultiTool Swiss Army issue knife SRAM powerlinks Derailleur hanger Whistle Spare tube Standard puncture repair kit Park Tool adhesive patches Tyre boots Presta / Shreader convertor (handy if you pass by a petrol station and want to use their airpump) Some cash in notes (just keep it folded up with the puncture repair kit so it is always there) Rega insurance card (Swiss helicopter rescue / recovery service) Small first aid kit Phone

Normally also have with me:
      Running jacket (packs very small) Trail map Food, something like Flap Jack / Cliff Bar and a Gel. Train card

If I'm commuting then I also have:
      Shirt Undies Socks Ipod Nano & Headphones

I tend to keep suits / shoes in the office so only need to take the essentials for the day.

Wow seems a lot but really isn't when it is all packed (lives permenatly in) a Camelbak Mule.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    zenistar wrote:
    If I'm commuting then I also have:
      Shirt Undies Socks Ipod Nano & Headphones
    I've got this strange image in my head now of a commuter riding in shirt, undies and socks :shock: :D
  • food
    multitool
    tyre levers
    pump
    inner tube
    punc repair kit
    chain tool
    spare bit of old chain
    quik links
    waterproof
  • In my camelbak hawg I normally carry for most rides (4-8 hours)

3L Bladder with fluid (Normally Isotonic Stuff)
    Duel Barrel Pump (Attached on frame)
    Spare MTB Tube (Re-Rolled up flat instead of coiled)
    Puncture Kit
    Couple of Tyre Levers
    Electrical Tape
    Spare Derailleur Hanger
    Multi-Tool With chain breaker
    KMC Chain Link
    Various Sizes of Zip Ties
    Gerber Multi Plier Tool
    Small weatherproof light jacket
    Mobile Phone
    Money
    Plasters and a couple of small bandages
    Headache Tablets
    Map of area
    I've got a small box also with loads of litte bits and pieces in it, such as bendy wire, paper clip, piece of inner tube (to re-enfore tyre wall in event of blow out), you never know when you might need them and they weigh nothing.

In winter I carry spare batteries for my lights and a couple of silicone knogs for emergencies.

Food I normally take some jam butties with loads of jam for energy, couple of oat bars and maybe a banana.

When packet it doesn't even feel like I'm carrying it.

Some of you might think this is over kill but trust me I've been stuck years ago with a broken chain and lucky a passing mountain biker helped me out (still owe him a pint)

When your stuck out on the moors or slap bang in the middle of nowhere you'll be thankful that you carrying stuff to get you out of a rut.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I generally take a camelback lobo (3l) with 1 or 2 multi tools (different sized allen keys on each), a chain tool, a pump, 1 or 2 inner tubes and some tissue incase of an injury.
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Think ive only seen one person mention it , but some thing with emergency details on,point of contact,dob, allergy details etc very important if your out on your own id say.
    Also in the depths of winter one of those pocket hand heater things and a foil blanket for a bit of warmth if no longer mobile.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bamba wrote:
    Think ive only seen one person mention it , but some thing with emergency details on,point of contact,dob, allergy details etc very important if your out on your own id say.
    I've learnt painfully the need for this.

Oh, and it's no use having emergency contact numbers in your phone if the phone is locked with a code that no one knows. As those with me found out.

Otherwise, put in a number under 'ICE' In Case of Emergency.

Reminds me to sort something decent out for this. Proper thing with details, maybe laminated.
  • zenistar
    deadkenny wrote:
    bamba wrote:

I've learnt painfully the need for this.

Reminds me to sort something decent out for this. Proper thing with details, maybe laminated.

Since I have started commuting and half of my commute is offroad / forest track, I have been seriously thinking of buying one of these ID braclets - http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    all dayer?

non-winter conditions:

water
    bannana
    flapjack
    fags
    lighter
    cash
    mobile
    map if new route
    waterproof
    multitool
    2 x tubes
    punture repair kit
    tyre boot
    mechhangar
    powerlink + couple links chain
    levers
    spoke key
    chain tool
    cable ties
    pump wrapped in duct tape

in winter add a warm hat + gloves and light spares, possibly a hipflask if its snowing.
  • zenistar
    zenistar wrote:
    Since I have started commuting and half of my commute is offroad / forest track, I have been seriously thinking of buying one of these ID braclets - http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

Since ordering this, the company mailed me with a discount code for any friends that want to buy, it is not much but you do get $1 off an order:
    Coupon Number: ThanksAdrian8176596

This coupon is good for $1 off any Road ID order. It can be used up to 20 times in the next 30 days. Feel free to send this coupon via email, Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, town crier, or good ole fashion smoke signal.

Disclosure - I am not in anyway affiliated with RoadID and I make nothing from this coupon, i am just passing along a code to others if they want $ off an order. I also hope this is not against any forum rules.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    I'm surprised how many ride without a spare mech hanger seeing as they're designed to snap/bend on impact.
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    bamba wrote:

Ive got one of these - http://www.utagice.com/acatalog/Credi.html

Basically just a digital dogtag. They have been popular in the motorcycle world for a while so most medical professionals would know what it was if they saw it.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • pots74
    pots74 Posts: 62
    Where are the first aid kits on the majority of the post? Some posts have listed fags over a first aid kit? :lol: Come on people we need to be more responsible! Ok if your at a trail centre maybe but out on the fells it's a must! We can't just rely on the mountain rescue! :x
    I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Default is:

Spare tube
    Multitool
    Powerlinks (if I can find them!)
    Tyre levers
    Food/water
    Pump
    Phone
    Cash
    Cable ties

And then depending on the time of year, the weather and where I'm going (e.g. out in the sticks rather than a trail centre, or likely to be waiting for or sitting on a train in wet clothes in winter)

1st aid kit
    Lights (little backup-type ones)
    Spare base layer
    waterproof jacket
    Warm hat
    Spare gloves
    Extra spare tube
    Spare brake pads