http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VERGMkMTOwQ&feature=player_embedded
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    *cringe* This is my worst fear while out riding.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    was a copper too... tut tut
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    I get caught out along Victoria embankment when passing those foreign buses, the oblivious passengers just step out into the road!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    I get caught out along Victoria embankment when passing those foreign buses, the oblivious passengers just step out into the road!

Haven't hit any yet, but am beginning to think it's a matter of time. Possibly the stupidesty place I can think of in central London to unload a coach-full of people who aren't familiar with vehicles driving on the left.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,014
    He was going so slowly through such a large gap as well. :roll:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    This happened to a friend of mine - she got hit by an opening car door. Broken collarbone, broken jaw and lots of cuts and bruises.

The guy that opened his door without looking took no responsibility either and so their was no payout......and no witnesses.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    That happened to me - white van man passenger decided to bail out whilst at a set of lights, the vehicle was in the right hand lane of two lanes of traffic and I was going up the middle to get to the ASL. I bent my handle bars on my two day old road bike. :cry:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Happened to me years ago in Oxford with a Royal Mail van: new bicycle duly ordered and then written off 3 years later when I went into the back of a Royal mail van. 1-1
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    rjsterry wrote:

Haven't hit any yet, but am beginning to think it's a matter of time. Possibly the stupidesty place I can think of in central London to unload a coach-full of people who aren't familiar with vehicles driving on the left.

i always make sure i give those buses in particular loads of room when going along there...

i have shouted at tourists around parliament square though...look the other way!!!! :)
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    Clever Pun wrote:
    was a copper too... tut tut

That's what I was going to say & knowing the NYPD's attitude, it would've been 'So what!?' :shock: :roll:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Is there any law that serves to protect from dooring? Or is it only ever considered an unfortunate accident?
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740

Use off-street parking areas, or bays marked out with white lines on the road as parking places, wherever possible.

If you have to stop on the roadside:

do not park facing against the traffic flow
    stop as close as you can to the side
    do not stop too close to a vehicle displaying a Blue Badge – remember, the occupant may need more room to get in or out
    you MUST switch off the engine, headlights and fog lights
    you MUST apply the handbrake before leaving the vehicle
    you MUST ensure you do not hit anyone when you open your door – check for cyclists or other traffic
    it is safer for your passengers (especially children) to get out of the vehicle on the side next to the kerb
    put all valuables out of sight and make sure your vehicle is secure
    lock your vehicle

[Laws CUR reg 98, 105 & 107, RVLR reg 27 & RTA 1988 sect 42]

Kinda suggests you're at fault for dooring someone, but I've no idea what the penalty or otherwise might be.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    This thread was more a pop at the endless stream of boring commuter cams but it doesn't seem to have panned out that way
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    At least no one's mentioned Hitler yet.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Time to d-lock the thread ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    It's really bad that I laughed.

Isn't it?

Not in a 'Daily Mail I hate cyclists' way, more a 'watching a good friend fall off a small ladder' way.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,014
    Am I the only one who thinks that the cyclist was asking for it? He was filtering up the inside in the Jesus lane at some speed. I know strictly its the driver's fault, but doesn't the hive mind take a dim view of filtering up the left of a line of cars?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Spanish or Italian?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/