Rebound control on Rock Shox Tora Coils

Greggors
Greggors Posts: 53
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a pair of 2010 Rock Shox Tora Coils (302 i think) on my bike and have been having a little play with the rebound settings.

At the bottom of the right hand leg there is a little adjuster that has a 2.5mm allen key in the the bottom, the range of adjustment only seems to be 180 degrees from slow to fast, (if you turn it any further it doesnt seem to make any difference) is this right or should there be more adjustment, also is there any stop on the adjuster or if you take it out and use an allen key will it keep on turning?

Lastly the forks are quite squeaky unless you slow the rebound right down which seemed too slow when I was out on the bike.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    does it turn more than 180 degrees?

squeaky or noisy?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Greggors
    The adjuster has a tab on it so you can turn it easily but the dropouts stop it turning more than 180. If you take the adjuster out it can be turned more than 180 but it seems to have very little effect on the rebound, I turned it a couple of full turns but stopped as it seemed to have no effect and didnt want to do any damage if there wasnt any kind of stop.

Maybe a squeal rather than a squeak, not an alarming noise but just though I would mention it as it seems to stop when the rebound is slowed. I guessing its just the oil passing though.
  • Greggors wrote:
    The range of adjustment only seems to be 180 degrees from slow to fast, (if you turn it any further it doesnt seem to make any difference) is this right or should there be more adjustment

This is correct.
    Greggors wrote:
    also is there any stop on the adjuster or if you take it out and use an allen key will it keep on turning?

There is no stop. It will keep turning but create no effect. Don’t take it out.
    Greggors wrote:
    Lastly the forks are quite squeaky unless you slow the rebound right down which seemed too slow when I was out on the bike.

How old are the forks/how many miles have they done? Maybe its time for a service. Noises are normal but excessive noise may mean service time.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Unless he's talking about the damping noise of course, which would make sense seeing as it changes when he adjusts rebound.
  • Greggors
    I think it is just the noise of the oil going through the valves/shims/whatever they use. Had another play today and the noise seems to be worse when the setting is somewhere in the middle. Set them with a bit less rebound damping and the there is no noise and they feel better out on the trail too.

They are about 5 months old and have done around 400km off road so should be ok for a service.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That sounds normal! Less damping, less oil pressure, less noise.
  • Greggors
    Thought it was strange that the noise also went away when the damping was increased. It seems to be worse somewhere in the middle.