Bicycle War, New York Times Published: September 30, 1894

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    The feet of the front ranks would at once become entangled in the spokes of the wheels, and, as everyone who is familiar with the bicycle knows, a man who once becomes entangled in a bicycle wheel can rarely free himself under half an hour
    So true, many a times I've lain at the side of Croydon flyover entangled in my spokes and desperately trying to flag down passing motorists for help
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    Am slowly making my way through a history of the CTC. cyclist-motorist or earlier on cyclist-horsedrawnvehicleist agro is nothing new.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    rjsterry wrote:
    Am slowly making my way through a history of the CTC. cyclist-motorist or earlier on cyclist-horsedrawnvehicleist agro is nothing new.

Didja click the link RJS? Didja?

This is a vintage newspaper article (apparently) seriously discussing the pros and cons of using bicycles on the battlefield as opposed to foot soldiers and cavalry.

I say apparently seriously as it discusses the unwillingness of the enemy to engage on nice smooth flat land and also that a corps could be disabled with some tacks....
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    Well...no, clearly not. :oops:

Interesting that they are mainly comparing the bicycle to a cavalry horse - something which in 20 years' time would rendered obsolete. Bicycles did however go on to be used in WWII fairly extensively, although mainly as a means of transport, rather than a portable anti-personell obstacle.

The CTC history is very interesting too. Apparently, we have the cycling boom of the late 19th century to thank for a halfway decent road network.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition