I feel good about feeling bad about feeling good

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
and possibly bad.

Maybe.

My cycling mate has been off his bike since May ( 2 1/2 months now) but finally got back into the saddle this morning.

Now in this time, I've been commuting regularly and in fact upped the amount per week from 3 ish to 4 ish (100 miles a week as opposed to 75) days. I've also been actively pushing harder to lower my times and have succeeded quite nicely :)

Basically I'm fitter than I have been for some time, and quicker than ever (by my own standards) I've lost weight and it's been noticed 8)

So - the picture I'm painting is: my mate - out the saddle, back out of shape and not doing so well. Me - better than I have been for a long time and getting quicker

Oh, yeah and I'm on the Madone this morning.

He struggled, really, really struggled - he even made the comment that he was finding it so hard, he thought he was going to throw up :shock: :?

The thing is: he said this at a little incline that I was pedalling up, sat back with one hand on the flats and nattering away like there was no effort at all. This was after I realised that doing my usual pace left the poor guy 400 yards back and floundering.

I was actively using lower gears and even then pedalling away from him.

This was why I felt bad, and also why I have to stress I'm not showing off here - how quickly do you lose the gains you've made? Rob (my mate) was easily as quick as me - in fact he had a higher cruising speed, but I tended to have a faster sprint. Now he's struggling all the time.

Looks like I'm going to have to get him out on the bike at weekends as well - get him back in shape as quickly as possible.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    A quiet smirk of satisfaction is good once in a while :twisted:

You'll help him get up to speed/fitness before too long, then the two of you can battle it out :)