Blackspire Stinger chain device advice

vilhelms
vilhelms Posts: 19
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have an 07 Enduro Comp. I'm thinking of getting a Blackspire Stinger to reduce the annoying chain slap when I'm on my local trails. Anyone had any +ve/-ve experiences with one of these. I'm assuming it should fit to the bb with no problems? I'm not thinking of replacing the big ring with a bash guard at this point but I'm open to views.

Comments

• GJC
    GJC Posts: 198
    Hi i use the chain device and i have also removed the big chain and replaced it with a bash guard, the adaptations have been great for me but is suits my style and type of riding.

gjc
    Lapierre Spicy 316 2011
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it will not stop chain slap it may increase it as it moves the chain closer to the chain stay.

what cranks? what BB width? what fitting for the device?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I find they reduce chainslap, just because the length of chain flapping about is reduced. But it's not what they're for.

Very good bits of kit though, simple and effective. The enormous backplate makes them a wee bit heavier than they need to be, but the plus side is that you can cut/grind bits away to make it fit round awkwardly shaped frames (like my Hemlock frinstance, the swingarm fouls most double devices but with the stinger I could grind a bit section out and there's enough metal left that it still works.)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • vilhelms
    My cranks are Truvativ, 73mm bb with ISCG mount. I am assuming that their primary purpose is to reduce chain drop, but that as a side effect they also reduce slap. I guess one will fit no problem on a three ring setup? There is certainly room behind the chain rings. I'm no expert though hence the post :)
  • Northwind
    Is there a 3-ring Stinger? I thought the Heim was the only option for that.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    Been using one for a while now for all sorts of riding from DH to general trail riding on a double ring set up its a great bit of kit and works really well solidly made too.
  • vilhelms
    Ah ok something like this...
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50905

Which is a shame since its double the price of the Stinger. So it looks like its drop the big ring and use a stinger, or keep the three, pay double and get the e-thirteen (ne Heim).

TBH I rarely use the big ring on trails so stinger and 2 rings may be the better option.
  • Northwind
    Probably, aye. Remember most of the gears on the big ring are duplications of the middle ring too!

You might find that just dropping down to a doublt and reducing the amount of flappy chain gives you enough of an improvement to not need the stinger.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    I don't miss the big ring to be honest for my riding I find a bashring much more useful, what I would say is if you go to a double up the size of your middle ring to a 36T