This Time Lee Quarry Needs 5 mins of your time.

stumpyjon
stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
edited August 2011 in MTB general
Hot on the heels of Gisburn looking to get upgraded visitors facilities (i.e. toilets, better parking etc., by the way the planning application was approved just need a big chunk of cash now), Lee Quarry has decided to follow suit.

There's a feasibility study currently being undertaken with a view to recommending what facilities are needed in Future's Park at the start of the trails.

The usual things are being considered as per Gisburn but also other possibilites such as a bike shop, showers, indoor pump track etc.

As with all these sorts of reports they need evidence of what people want to back up their recommendations. So could you take 5 mins or less to fill in their online survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/leequarrysurvey

I'll be posting more info on http://www.pmba.org.uk as and when I have it.

Cheers
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result

Comments

• done
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    done
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Done, however I choose to visit a trail centre based on the quality of the trails, not the quality of the cafe, and would prefer to see the money being used to improve/maintain/extend the current trails, rather than build a swanky visitor centre, which i also mentioned in the survey.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Done. One thing i forgot to put in the survey though! As above pretty much, no need for fancy facilities, I'm happy as long as there is somewhere sheltered I can get changed in case it's raining to avoid getting my nice dry stuff soaked while i'm faffing about outside.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Done, :wink:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    done
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    done

TBH all i would like is some proper parking.

There is a decent cafe already, and i dont mind being dirty.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Done.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stumpyjon
    Cheers all, all views welcome.
    however I choose to visit a trail centre based on the quality of the trails, not the quality of the cafe

Fair comment although a lot of people now look for a one stop shop riding destination, everyone's expectations are different. Something else I'd like to see is Future's Park becoming a hub for more natural riding, maybe some way marked routes using the bridleways so it could potentially cater for those not so keen on trail centre riding.

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Shame there wasn't a comments section at the end as I would have said that I too don't look for great visitor centre facilities.

I rarely ever use the cafe/bike shop at a visitor centre, all I want which is the same as the others is good parking facilities, a decent toilet and awesome trails.

I usually carry enough food/water on me as I always make sure I'm prepared so hardly ever visit the centre for this as they're usually overpriced anyway and showering in VC's is too much hassle its so much easier when you're at home or back at the B&B.

A bike shop is handy on the rare occasion but again this certainly wouldnt put me off going to a place if it didnt have one.
  • I can't believe there are people who don't want cake after riding. :shock:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I can't believe there are people who don't want cake after riding. :shock:

I have cake after riding, its usually in my pack.

I'd rather it be there so incase I need a quick fix of sugar then I can have it, if not I'll just munch post ride.
  • i have jelly babies for emergency sugar. I just like the treat aspect of a huge piece of coffee cake if I'm going to make the effort to go to a trail centre. That or pub tea. To be fair someone should build a trail centre with it's own pub...
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,235
    Done.

Bear in mind that parking is currently free around the area and if the centre is going to be at the bottom you'll just have people parking on the local roads. I think thats a shame really because parking revenue goes back in to the trails we ride. For that reason I always pay for a full days parking even though I might not need it. Added to that I dont give my full day ticket to another rider to save them having to pay.

Not to fussed about a "pub" but having a licenced cafe would be pretty good, nothing like chilling with mates and a beer after a ride.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Done; less of an issue for me if I'm going to Cragg as I get there over via Scout Moor but I would like to raise the possibility of Rossendale/.Lancs talking to Rochdale about developing Ding Quarry. I reckon there is a far bit if scope for stuff there.
  • stumpyjon
    I'm not sure Ding is specifically on the agenda, I'll ask at our next meeting, Facit is and one of the other quarries, might be ownership issues with Ding after the reopenning scandal a couple of years ago. That said both Oldham and Rochdale have approached Lancs with regard to getting involved / learning from what's being done cycling wise in Lancs.

• Done and a car park at the top of that big ass hill would be best. Puts me off visiting more than once a year as 1st thing i gotta climb once out of car is that nut crushing hill.
  • stumpyjon
    Aw c'mon, that hills not that bad, boring maybe but it does gain the height fairly quickly.

• stumpyjon wrote:
    I'm not sure Ding is specifically on the agenda, I'll ask at our next meeting, Facit is and one of the other quarries, might be ownership issues with Ding after the reopenning scandal a couple of years ago. That said both Oldham and Rochdale have approached Lancs with regard to getting involved / learning from what's being done cycling wise in Lancs.

Yes there is an action group dedicated to Ding http://www.dingquarry.co.uk/. I may fire an email at them as it would resolve their issue if we got trails there. Apart from the odd Highroller squashing a purple fluted moorland rock flower.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Done

nice to see some dh orientated tracks down to cafe with some form of up lift avilable :)

this would be perfect
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Done
    put a request/idea for a Blue graded skills area, sometimes going straight to the red stuff is too much of a big leap to take

Caz xx
  • Dan Dare
    Dan Dare Posts: 367
    Done. Really enjoyed Lee Quarry whenever I've been there :) Somewhere to sit down and get something to eat and also toilet facilities would be much appreciated at the end of a session up there.
  • sorted
  • dynamis_dk
    dynamis_dk Posts: 428
    Done :)

think its fair to say its like most places where if the riding is good, having very close cafe and bike store would be useful - but i'm already making a 1:30 drive to get there every couple of months so i'd riding there without the extra facilities, but I wouldn't turn down a burger and replacment parts close to hand if needed :)
  • There is a bike shop to be fair, Ride On is only 5 mins down the road. Not sure an on site shop would be needed
  • dynamis_dk
    dynamis_dk Posts: 428
    There is a bike shop to be fair, Ride On is only 5 mins down the road. Not sure an on site shop would be needed

I never noticed lol... learnt something new today :)
  • done
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    Done

i love lee quarry, its broken my mech hangar every time i been so far lol. hopefilly goin this weekend if weather is good!
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS