FSRxc New Rear shock info

apmm17
apmm17 Posts: 5
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey every one.
I am new on this forum i hope some one can help me on this matter.
I have a FSRxc 2007 and i want to upgrade the rear shock.
First come first, what kind of tools are necessary to change de shock any hardware specific?
In second it's about the suspension that i should buy, i search over and over and find that there isn't the right Length. So i can get a 165,10 x 38 or 184.15 x 44. The original shock is 170 x 40.
The shocks that i would like it's Rock Shox Monarch RT3 Rear Shock - Tune Low

Is this Shock a good choice, i am from Portugal does any one now a good European site do buy?
Thank you for you help.

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Shocks on the old FSRxc are non standard in both stroke and eye to eye lengh which limits your options.

Have a word with someone like http://www.tftunedshox.com/ and see what they can do for you.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    your old shock is 7.0x1.6" (177x40.6mm) and that is what you need to get.

a 184x44 will reduce your travel as the suspension will not move that far down. but if it could it would shorten your wheel base and steepen the angle making it very nasty to ride.

and the other will reduce your travel and slacken all your angle off and possibly allow frame and linkages to foul each other causing damage.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    for an fsrXC all you should need to change a shock is allen keys and the shock pump...

ChainReactionCycles is a good shop, see if there is anything on there...http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=175
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • Chris McG wrote:
    for an fsrXC all you should need to change a shock is allen keys and the shock pump...

Socket/spanner too :wink:
  • Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    Chris McG wrote:

Socket/spanner too :wink:

Oh yeah, forgot about the nut
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • apmm17
    nicklouse wrote:
    your old shock is 7.0x1.6" (177x40.6mm) and that is what you need to get.

a 184x44 will reduce your travel as the suspension will not move that far down. but if it could it would shorten your wheel base and steepen the angle making it very nasty to ride.

and the other will reduce your travel and slacken all your angle off and possibly allow frame and linkages to foul each other causing damage.

Since there ins't the ideal shock witch one do you recommend ?
    About the material to make the change i have everything on my garage.
  • apmm17
    Thank you for your help, i am going to get the 184x44 version the sorter as nicklouse point can damage the bike.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    apmm17 wrote:
    Thank you for your help, i am going to get the 184x44 version the sorter as nicklouse point can damage the bike.
    Bad idea. Just get the right shock for your bike. Spesh will be able to source one for you I'm sure. Did you speak to TFTuned?

Also, which FSRxc do you have? If it is not the top of the line model then try to get hold of the shock which was fitted to the highest end bike. For example the FSRxc Pro 2007/08 came with a Fox Triad. Have you spoken to Fox?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • apmm17
    I don't have enough money to spend, that's a problem. 70% of the time i ride in roads, the biggest problem with the current suspension can't block, ride elevated streets it's painful.
    I'm searching for Fox Triad that should fit, since it is old (2007) it's hard to find.