How much should I be paying for fitting a new crankset?

russboy
russboy Posts: 436
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Ordered some new wheels, saddle, crankset, cassette & chain.

Now the wheels (presuming the cassette is easy to fit to it), chain, saddle I have no probs with.

Going to leave fitting the crankset to the pros & ask them to set the gears up etc. Going to use Fudge cycles in Epsom as its minutes from my office, the thing is they might not be overly happy with me as orignally I was going to buy the parts from them, but made a saving of £30 buying the crankset, cassette & chain online so couldnt turn that down.

So how much do you reckon i'm in for?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fitting the crankset is no harder than fitting a cassette.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    The £30 you saved is not really a saving as I bet the shop would have fitted them for free if you would have bought them there.

I would have asked them before buying from elsewere, your frame may need facing off so around £40-£60 I reckon.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    25/30 depending on what actually needs doing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • russboy
    Fitting the crankset is no harder than fitting a cassette.

Tis when you've not done one before!

Trouble is I have no patience & wouldnt be confident of what i'm doing. Fitting the cassette I was told by the guys at Merlin was easy as you can't get it wrong ................. although possibly I could!! :lol:
  • Anonymous
    It really isn't. You need the correct tools, but it is a very simple, very straightforward job.
  • russboy
    1mancity2 wrote:
    The £30 you saved is not really a saving as I bet the shop would have fitted them for free if you would have bought them there.

I would have asked them before buying from elsewere, your frame may need facing off so around £40-£60 I reckon.

I did ask them before hand & they wouldnt have fitted for free, just wondering if it'll now go up as I didnt buy the bits from them.

There was mention of £20 labour I think for the crank, £15 for a gear service etc Basically with paying £75 for the crankset from them I was looking at £150-£160 total including the new chain & cassette, so maybe £45 all in for the labour.

At the moment the crankset, cassette & chain stand me in at £90, roughly £25 on those bits alone cheaper than the shop would have charged.
  • russboy
    nicklouse wrote:

Thanks, on that basis it should give me a significant saving overall, even if it creeps up to £40 or £50 for labour
  • Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    personally though I wouldn't get Fudges Cycles to do it; I had them fit a new BB for me and it came out loose...

Corridori Cycles at the Drift Bridge is much better...

But fitting yourself really isn't that hard, all you need is the right tools...
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • nicklouse
    Russboy wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Thanks, on that basis it should give me a significant saving overall, even if it creeps up to £40 or £50 for labour

again it depends.. a chase and face can be about the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • My local bike shop fitted new parts for free because I bought the stuff from them.
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
    My Kayaking Blog http://naefearjustbeer.wordpress.com/
  • russboy
    My local bike shop fitted new parts for free because I bought the stuff from them.

All depends on the price of the parts really as if they have enough mark up they may fit for free. As I say they said they would charge so was better for me to get the parts online
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Fudge have never given me much confidence in their knowledge. Firstly they seem to have some great on-line deals but wont let you buy online and collect in store without making a fuss. Then the staff seem to be clueless about anything more challenging than a BSO/entry level bike.

If you tell us what the crank set and bb is we can tell you how easy it is to fit. Personally I think its easier than a cassette and given its a good idea to regularly strip and clean, I would say worth learning.
  • russboy
    I've bought:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40496

Gone for the larger 48.36.26, didn't but it from chain reaction as it was £11 cheaper delivered from Merlin
  • nicklouse
    Russboy wrote:
    I've bought:

Gone for the larger 48.36.26, didn't but it from chain reaction as it was £11 cheaper delivered from Merlin

why the touring version?

hope the rings clear the chainstays. you will have to move the front mech and re set it.
  • russboy
    nicklouse wrote:
    Russboy wrote:
    I've bought:

why the touring version?

hope the rings clear the chainstays. you will have to move the front mech and re set it.

Its still compatible with an MTB & yep, gonna have the gears re set up anyway so moving the mech shouldnt be a prob.

Wanted this as I only do very light off road, mainly use the bike for my daily commute so a bit more pace top end would be useful, needs replacing after 2k miles on the old one so thought I might as well get what I wanted.
  • diy
    Assuming you have the tools to remove the old, you will need a HT2 and bb tool - about a 5-8 quid. worth going for the one that can be attached via a socket set, so that you can attached a torque wrench.

As long as you remember which way the threads go for each side it will be done in 15-20mins tops.

Will you need a new chain and rear mech for those chainrings? what do you have on the back?
  • russboy
    diy wrote:
    Assuming you have the tools to remove the old, you will need a HT2 and bb tool - about a 5-8 quid. worth going for the one that can be attached via a socket set, so that you can attached a torque wrench.

As long as you remember which way the threads go for each side it will be done in 15-20mins tops.

Will you need a new chain and rear mech for those chainrings? what do you have on the back?

This chain & cassette i've prob done about 700 miles on & one of the links popped the other day so for the sake of £26 for the cassette & chain decided to go for it. Plus I was told my current chain isn't really long enough & could stress the rear derailleur
  • Anonymous
    Cassette and chain for £26? huh?
  • russboy
    Cassette and chain for £26? huh?

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/ProductDe ... ASS-MASTER

£27 total rather, not £26
  • Anonymous
    wow!
    Shimano chain though, hmmmmm. I'd happilly NOT use a shimano chain for a tenner.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nowt wrong with it if you use a power link. Cant fault the value.
  • Anonymous
    No, the value is excellent, I must admit. Powerlink or not, I've snapped too many Shimano chains though.
  • diy
    Personally I would go for a SRAM chain, and then suffer the slight compromise on the SRAM cassette. The 970/971 deals are pretty good.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There is no compromise using different chains and cassettes, makes no difference.

Personally I would use a KMC chain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I've only ever used Sram and KMC, and I've only ever snapped Sram ones.

Saying that, I bought an unbranded 8 speed chain for £1.50 new on eBay, including a missing link, and that hasn't snapped, so it may just be a bit of luck. :D
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Anonymous
    thel33ter wrote:
    Saying that, I bought an unbranded 8 speed chain for £1.50 new on eBay, including a missing link, and that hasn't snapped, so it may just be a bit of luck. :D
    Quite possibly, yes.
    But, as a human (vaguely), I do have human traits, such as trying to find a pattern to things occasionally.
    Every SRAM chain I've had has snapped repeatedly, and Shimano chains have faired only slightly better.
    Wipperman, and KMC chains have not. May well be a coincidence, but it'll take quite something for me to trust SRAM.
  • diy
    cooldad wrote:
    There is no compromise using different chains and cassettes, makes no difference.

Personally I would use a KMC chain.

The compromise is because SRAM make good chains and OK Cassettes and you tend to get a better deal if you buy a "chain and sprocket" bundle.