Kinesis Winter Bike

Nigel Bennett
Nigel Bennett Posts: 653
edited August 2011 in Your road bikes
First time out on it yesterday. It's a Decade Tripster frame with Avid BB7 discs. This is the Cunning Plan to avoid wearing out a pair of rims per winter. The other Cunning Plan is the somewhat unlovely but practical Smeg Deflectors made from sheet aluminium that protect the transmission. My old winter bike had ones like these and the reduction in attrition on chains and sprocket teeth was significant.

P1290055.jpg

P1290053.jpg

Close-up of Smeg Deflectors:

P1290056.jpg

Comments

• I have no words, The levers look a little far down the bars, I dont know if its genius or insanity...... But I do like it (I guess I do have words)
  • Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    You know...I like it.

Very nouveau retro :P

1967 Engine
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    whats going on where the down tube meets the head tube?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Looks good despite the ironmongery but get some black stem spacers on there and sort out your levers- they'll do your wrists in where they are.
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    no mud flap, how very dare you!
  • Ok - the gizmo on the back of the head tube is a Bike-Eye rear view mirror.
    I haven't fitted a rear mud flap because it isn't winter yet and I'm not riding in company on it. It will be done before winter comes!

Oh - and I'm quite happy with the levers where they are. Must have different shaped wrists to other peeps....
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I think I'd rather ride fixed than have all that gubbings around the chainset and chain.

Did you consider a hub gear instead?
    More problems but still living....
  • Riding fixed doesn't stop the road pooh covering the transmission!
    Although using a more robust fixed chain might extend its life a bit, it'll still wear like blazes when subject to a constant barrage of wet grit.

They don't make hub gears (to my knowledge) with close enuff rations for me.