Buy 2nd handbike or buy parts for old bike?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
right im in a conundrum (oooh i love that word, reminds me of the "Vordermann")

i'm selling my Kona Stinky (DH bike) as its too heavy to climb hills etc an prefer hard tails. i have an old hard tail with good forks etc but it needs basically rebuilding so will probably cost the same as an OK 2nd bike

Do you reckon i should just buy a 2nd hand bike an be done with it or resurrect my old hard tail?

it woudl be more fun buying parts, but it would be a whole lot easier buying a bike ahhhhh the decisions decisions
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    mudcow007 wrote:

i'm selling my Kona Stinky (DH bike) as its too heavy to climb hills etc an prefer hard tails. i have an old hard tail with good forks etc but it needs basically rebuilding so will probably cost the same as an OK 2nd bike

Do you reckon i should just buy a 2nd hand bike an be done with it or resurrect my old hard tail?

it woudl be more fun buying parts, but it would be a whole lot easier buying a bike ahhhhh the decisions decisions

To completely Hijack the thread - I saw Vorderman at a coffee shop in Bristol last week then a few days later, I saw Timmy Mallett in Clifton.

It's like Hollywood these days, I tells ya!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    Rebuild the old bike. If you buy used you will still have things to do to the bike you buy. I have a 12 year old Marin hard tail and it's great. It gets repaired and upgraded as things wear. I have ridden other, newer bikes and I'm more than happy to keep mine.
    Having said that I'm building up another hardtail as my son has outgrown his bike again and is now riding mine. Must stop feeding him.
  • mudcow007
    i do love the old girl (Vodermann and old hard tail.....in fact my new hard tail is now called Vordermann cheers GTV!!)

it was a 1996 Scott which i had when i was in school so it was used an abused but it was a great comfy ride an was good on the trails but it will literally need everything replacing except maybe BB, stem an seatpost/ seat

i will see what i can find on eBay

i have a budget of around £400 - £500
  • veronese68
    1996, is it steel. Look at the price of a new steel frame. Would probably work out cheaper to buy a complete bike used as you say. Colleague bought a 3 year old Spesh Stumpjumper hardtail for £360. Absolute bargain, managed to give the guy cash before the auction finished. I think the final price would have been higher.
    Just try to make sure it's not stolen. Ask for the original manual or something. Hate to think we're feeding tea leaves.
  • mudcow007
    i will have a look around to see what parts are available, quite like the idea of building a franken-bike from different parts

actually need to check the frame isnt cracked or anything before i buy anything!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i will have a look around to see what parts are available, quite like the idea of building a franken-bike from different parts

actually need to check the frame isnt cracked or anything before i buy anything!

You are doing the right thing. However, just get buying and worry about the frame later. If it is cracked, you can always source another :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    I paid £22 including shipping for a 2005 Kinesis hardtail frame on fleabay. Looks really shabby as it was bare ali so noone else bid on it. Very pleased. Just need to get all the other bits now.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    gtvlusso wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

To completely Hijack the thread - I saw Vorderman at a coffee shop in Bristol last week then a few days later, I saw Timmy Mallett in Clifton.

It's like Hollywood these days, I tells ya!

Mallet was doing the gorilla painting thing and Vorderman lives in Portishead Marina, a friend of my Dad used to see her most days driving across Clifton Suspension Bridge.
    Back on topic.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.