Driving in London rush hour

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Whimped out of the first time on drops being a commute home though and drove in today to pick up new bike from LBS. Very interesting being the car driver and not a bike rider on the same route I normally commute one.

I used to drive in London in rush hour a lot about 10-15 years ago. This morning I was checking mirrors like crazy being sure to know where cyclist where and giving them room and space. Which was a big difference to how I used to drive and makes me think every driver should ride a bike.

Despite being a regular commuter cyclists and really really cautious and patient around cyclists I still had some cyclists appear from nowhere at crazy speeds from blind spots on both sides of the car. One rider on a Black Focus, KW top, White lid near Clapham south came down the inside at some speed and cut between me and bus. I was waiting to let the cyclists I could see in my left and rear view mirrors pull out round bus, he came past very quickly on the inside just as I started moving having let the "last" cyclist out. The first I saw was him going passed the front left wing, at the time I'd swear he missed the front of car by only a few inches but it was probably not that close.

In general though on the CS7 the separation of cyclist to cars works really well. Only when the traffic start jamming up and competing for space did I start to see potential confrontation / frustration with cyclists occur, not that I would get frustrated with a cyclist. This morning this was after E&C heading to London Bridge where there is no separation and a traffic jam.
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    I think perspective is very different when in a car to when on a bike. On two wheels you're that bit higher and can position yourself with great precision, if sober. It's harder to gauge a gap when you're sat in your car.
    I look at people on bikes, and motorbikes, and think something was close. But I then realise that I have often done similar manoeuvres myself, it's just the perspective that changes.
    Totally agree that it would be a good thing if all drivers were forced to cycle so as to understand the dangers though. Unfortunately it will never happen.
    What time do you pick the bike up?
  • sketchley
    Agree with you on perspective thing. I did find myself thinking shortly afterwards that I had done similar moves to the KW guy. It just looked scary from the car.

Hopefully getting bike around 4pm. Waiting for a phone call!
    --
    Chris

• Whether I drive or cycle in London, there is one class of road user that is head and shoulders off and away at the top of my hate list.

Moped riders.

Kill 'em all. That's what I say.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • people do filter aggressively, just because there is a gap doesn't mean it is wise to take it.

try driving big vans in rush hour traffic it's frankly terrifying how many people seem to want to sit in your blind spot.
  • veronese68
    Greg66 wrote:
    Whether I drive or cycle in London, there is one class of road user that is head and shoulders off and away at the top of my hate list.

Moped riders.

Agreed. Even when on a motorbike they grind my gears. I did ride one for a week or so a couple of years back. A bloke on a real motorbike stopped next to me at lights and told me I obviously didn't ride it normally because I wasn't riding like a twunt and I looked ridiculous as it was way too small.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    Talking of scooters, I noticed today that those funny ones with two front wheels (sort of trike in reverse) are actually a way to get around the rider needing to do CBT. apparently they can be ridden on a driving license only. May explain the way some of them are ridden.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    I saw that. My understanding was that as the front wheels are less than Xcm apart it classifies as a 2 wheeler. A tricycle has to have the 2 wheels over Xcm apart. I can't remember why it should be classified as a 2 wheeler. Maybe to do with the helmet laws. So, if you can ride a bigger engine without a CBT does that mean it's now classified as a trike?
    Have they realised it's better for them if it's classed as a trike so moved the wheels further out?
    Theyy're all wrong whatever it is.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Greg66 wrote:
    Whether I drive or cycle in London, there is one class of road user that is head and shoulders off and away at the top of my hate list.

Moped riders.

My missus rides a scooter... you having a pop?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • sketchley
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I saw that. My understanding was that as the front wheels are less than Xcm apart it classifies as a 2 wheeler. A tricycle has to have the 2 wheels over Xcm apart. I can't remember why it should be classified as a 2 wheeler. Maybe to do with the helmet laws. So, if you can ride a bigger engine without a CBT does that mean it's now classified as a trike?
    Have they realised it's better for them if it's classed as a trike so moved the wheels further out?
    Theyy're all wrong whatever it is.

Yes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/sco ... eview.html
    By widening the front track slightly Piaggio has qualified the MP3 LT as a trike, meaning a car driver can ride it, and there isn't a requirement to wear a helmet.
    --
    Chris

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I ride a scooter, and a fixie and a road bike.

The Holy Trinity of tosspot road manners. Just need a white van now.
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Moped riders.

My missus rides a scooter... you having a pop?

Welcome to widowerhood.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • veronese68
    The scooter I was riding belonged to my Mrs. We got rid of it as it was horrible. I am having a pop, but not at your Mrs. I just find scooters really unstable and a lot more scary than large powerful motorbikes.
    A lot of people do ride them badly. I tend to think this is the same reason a lot of people cycle badly. Lack of education and the people riding them are generally not enthusiasts. The problem for a keen cyclist is a scooter will do about the same speed so they get in our way more than a poorly ridden bicycle.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I've had no training and my bicycling is impeccable.

Impeccable.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Rode through Camden the other day & was severely unimpressed by a scooter rider. He was weaving at about 30 between slow moving traffic. If I'd have my cameras on me he'd have been headed towards roadsafe. He just made it through some lights else I'd have had a very strong word with him when I caught up.
    Worst riding I'd seen in a loooong while.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • veronese68
    notsoblue wrote:

Impeccable.

I'm sure it is, but being on here you're probably an enthusiast. It's a lack of education and and/or any interest in the means of tranport that tends to create a lack of awareness.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    notsoblue wrote:

Impeccable.

Where do you stand on Ambers ? :lol:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I know what you mean with regards to the driving/cycling mix. I'm certainly a lot more cautious and observant since becoming a proper cycle commuter (I don't class my old ride 2.5 miles on a BSO to the local computer superstore as proper cycle commuting) in central London.

Even then since getting my helmet cam, which does to some extent offer a slightly distored view of things with it's 135 degree FoV, I do like chucking myself into small gaps and have often caught bits where I do it when looking back over footage thinking WTF was I doing that for? :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    JZed wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Impeccable.

Oooooh, owch.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    JZed wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Impeccable.

I was using my impeccable bicycling judgement. It would have been unsafe and reckless to have stopped while going at that speed.

IMPECCABLE!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    notsoblue wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Impeccable.

I was using my impeccable bicycling judgement. It would have been unsafe and reckless to have stopped while going at that speed.

IMPECCABLE!

Knew I'd get a bite* :lol:

* and still annoyed you got my scalp.....
  • notsoblue
    whyioutta :lol: