Tight spot, creaking noise under load

kenan
kenan Posts: 952
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
When riding up-hill on a steep climb under a high load I get a noise like real bad brake rub and can feel a vibration through the frame (Marin Wolf Ridge). Also when you get the bike up on the back wheel and roll it back and forward you can feel resistance but when rocking the bike back/forward it comes and goes.

When free wheeling I can't feel anything in the drive chain, also when spinning the cranks and rear wheel I can't feel anything binding ?!?

I'm thinking its the bearing in the rear wheel (again)?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is there play in the rear hub?

what hub?

gears or SS?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kenan
    Hi nicklouse

There is a little side to side play in the rear wheel but not much and is running a 9 speed cassette. Hub is a superstar switch (1st gen)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if there is play then the bearings are either worn (cartridge) or need adjusting (Cone and cup)

IIRC the switch is cartridge but the "binding" could be a bent axle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kenan
    Its a 12mm axle and is cartridge bearing as I changed these a few months ago.

Think I have a few spare I can change them with.

Do you know where I can get a proper tool to change bearings with, I won't say how I did it last time :)