Bar end plugs

Noclue
Noclue Posts: 503
edited August 2011 in Road buying advice
Does anyone use lock in bar end plugs, and if you do could you reccomend a pair please.

Comments

• joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    I got a pair with ritchey bar tape (if you are talking about what i think you are) and they are the only bar end plugs I have ever used that HAVEN'T fallen out.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you tape the bars properly - the plugs shouldnt fall out. No need for lock in ones ?

(didnt even know they existed ?)
  • joeyhalloran
    How do you tape them so they don't fall out?
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    Make sure you have at least one full turn of bar tape being pushed in with the plug.

Alternatively, wrap some insulating tape around the plug where it pushes in, the extra padding stops the plug from coming out just fine.
  • Sounds like something used on a bike with nobbly tyres
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    I never knew such a problem existed? My bar ends have never come out, its flippin hard work to get them out when im changing tape.
  • joeyhalloran
    mine always come out, even with a full turn of bartape in there, might try the tape idea next...although these lock in ones seem like a better solution.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    My bar tape, fitted by a LBS didn't have the extra to tuck inside - almost cut level with the bar end - so I've had to super glue the plug to the tape, after loosing the original plug. :cry:

Easy enough done but a faff and extra expense.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Hope do them.

However, the coolest plugs I have ever seen is matching corks out of malt whisky bottles.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    They are common on mtb's but i saw an article in cycling plus a while back where they used them in one of their articles, i didn't know you could get them before then. And even with a full turn of bar tape they still aren't that secure.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You can always wrap a strip of insulating tape around the plug before you put it in to pack it out a bit.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    plowmar wrote:
    My bar tape, fitted by a LBS didn't have the extra to tuck inside - almost cut level with the bar end

Shameful.
  • P_Tucker wrote:
    plowmar wrote:
    My bar tape, fitted by a LBS didn't have the extra to tuck inside - almost cut level with the bar end

Shameful.

I asked my LBS to change my pedals once
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • On my Allez I just have the stock bar end plugs which are constantly loose. When I built my S-Works I bought the Hope bar end plugs and think they're great.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-grip-doctor-bar-end-plugs/

They're not cheap but I love 'em
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    +1 for the Hopes - fit no problem and they look the mutts nutts :)