Leeds Area - Training Rides

navrig
navrig Posts: 1,352
I live on Clarence Dock in Leeds Mon - Fri and am looking for suggestions for evening training rides which would get me out into the countryside as quickly as possible.

I don't know the surrounding area and don't have access to a car. I'm not against jumping on a train but that would rake up too much time given the nights are drawing in.

I need a combination of miles and hills but not necessarily on the same route so mutliple suggestions welcome.

Any ideas?

Comments

• My personal advice would be to head north out of leeds from Clarence dock until you cross the ring road. Everything in the otley / harewood / wetherby area is pretty countryfied and not too far away.
    Mtb - Lapierre spicy 316
    Road- Bianchi via nirone 7
    Road - Ribble Stealth
    Band - http://treeofsores.bandcamp.com
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    Interesting places to ride to in the evening from Leeds (See Google Maps for routes)

Bolton Abbey (gorgeous ruin on the edge of the Dales)
    Holmfirth (last of the Summer Wine)
    Hebden Bridge (Lesbian capital of the UK :D )
    York
    Ferrybridge (not a pretty town but home to a humungous coal-fired power station. Interesting to sad gits like me)
    Skipton (come out with us, South Craven Wheelers, on Thurs night)
    Emley Moor (great big 1930s TV mast on top of a beautiful moor)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Depends how far you want to go but TreeofSores gives the obvious one. My commute home to West Leeds often heads up Scott Hall Road, across towards Wigton and then various routes West. If I'm feeling feeble I can go along Wigton Lane and Alwoodley Lane to the Eccup area and Bramhope to the Chevin - almost all climbing gradually. You could then drop down to Pool from the Chevin and head back via Weeton and Sicklinghall before heading back to Leeds.

A tougher route is the same in reverse which gives you various nice climbs out of Otley. hardest would probably be West Chevin bank and York Gate.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Agree that north or north west of the outer ring road are good bets. A660, and A61/ChapelTown/Harrogate Roads once you're past Sheepscar are relatively bike friendly routes out.

If its hills you want then you can combine a lot of short sharp ones going up and down the bank south of the River Wharfe between Harewood and Otley - A61 at Harewood, Weardley, Arthington bank (Black Moor Road), Creskeld Lane, Pool Bank, Old Pool bank, A660 into Otley, East Chevin, West Chevin. I usually go up Weardley, Creskeld, Old Pool bank and West Chevin then head back via Cookridge myself. Arthington Bank is a bit of a killer btw.

Train out to Ilkley would let you head out to Beamsley and Langbar (steep!) with a fun downhill run through Middleton then via Askwith to Otley or head up to the reservoirs - lots to do out that way. Norwood Edge/Jack Hill is a good climb too.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Thanks guys.

I'll have a fiddle with Google maps on line.
  • If you are interested in TT's, our club has one on a Thursday night (running until the end of August).

See the following webiste for details:

http://otleycycleclub.co.uk/triangle.php
  • Now then. I live over the river from Clarence Dock at Gateway. I'm getting fed up of heading out on my own for rides on a Saturday. Especially as i rode for 2.5 hours in the dales alone in the rain yesterday. I'd be happy to meet up for a ride on a Saturday?
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    There is a group of cyclists that meet every (?) Saturday at the Lawnswood cemetery for a social ride to the Pavillion at Bolton Abbey and back. I think they meet around 09:00. Maybe worth looking into?
    There are quite a few clubs in the Leeds area.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.