Wind and a rucksack make a big ole difference

coombsfh
coombsfh Posts: 186
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
I am still not "bike fit" as my average is still under 20mph but I have been improving a lot (most of the improvements have been seen on hill climbing, stamina and consistent pedaling).

Today however was pretty darn windy and that combined with a rucksack (change of clothes and shoes as well as a laptop and 2 extra litres of water) made for a very slow and tough ride.

Does anyone else really struggle in the wind. My shape is silly to try and get really good at roadbiking as I cleave through the air like a chest of drawers! However I wonder if anyone has any tips apart from putting my nose and mouth on the stem and gritting my teeth??

Best wishes,

Fred.

(PS I expect sunday-night innuendo on the nose on stem and teeth bit)
(PPS I haven't posted for a while as I keep whizzing out on me bike and don't find time to sit and talk bike much...doing is much better than talking)

Comments

• merak
    merak Posts: 323
    Head wind is always tough. If you are doing out and back you get a tail wind to make up for it. Only suggetsions I have are to ride in the drops, get your elbows in, and don't fight it.
  • mamiljock
    mamiljock Posts: 69
    As above - I live in the North East of Scotland and this year has been non stop windy - sometimes i've had to pedal to go down hills that can normally be coasted. Only thing is to try to pick a route that you go out into the wind and home with a tail wind - a strong wind behind you can really make you fly along and forget all about the hard bit out into the wind
    ya still gotta crank it
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Your arms constitute half your body width so getting them out of the way is going to be a great help when its windy. Have you ever seen pictures of riders where they have done all they can to to reduce the drag ?. When you have, try and adapt that position for yourself.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mamiljock wrote:
    As above - I live in the North East of Scotland and this year has been non stop windy - sometimes i've had to pedal to go down hills that can normally be coasted. Only thing is to try to pick a route that you go out into the wind and home with a tail wind - a strong wind behind you can really make you fly along and forget all about the hard bit out into the wind

Worst advice ever! As any fule no, if you head out into a headwind, by the time you turn round the wind will have changed and you'll get a headwind on the way back as well! The only way to benefit from wind (ever) is to take the tail wind when it is there. So, go out with the tailwind and accept that you'll either have a slow slog back or that you might be lucky and get a tailwind both ways! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I'm one of them that lives by the sea, so the only way for me to ride and decent distance is inland....

Match that with a wide shoulder profile and a home leg towards the sea and i've always got a head wind on the way home....ALWAYS!

You get used to getting shafted by god after a while!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    coombsfh wrote:
    I am still not "bike fit" as my average is still under 20mph

Uffff, really? :roll:
  • Re response from Rolf - a prevailing wind rarely changes direction, certainly not 180 degrees
    ya still gotta crank it