Cleat or Not to Cleat

alexander flint
alexander flint Posts: 20
edited August 2011 in MTB beginners
my ten year old son is getting hugely in to mtb. Come xmas i will be buying him a knew bike so the question is should he go to cleats or carry on with a mtb flat but spiky pedals.

I prefer spiky since im so poor at un clipping but hes alot better than me and getting better.

Comments

• Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    I've tried clipping in and tbh i didn't like the feeling one bit, i like the feeling of being able to move my feet around on the pedal on different surfaces but it's all down to rider preference.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    His choice, surely, but since he's ten, and his feet will be growing like the clappres soon, then for purely financial reasons I'd suggest sticking to flats. Best to only have to buy new trainers occasionally, rather than having to buy new trainers AND SPD shoes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One day you'll make someone a good mother.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    i love spds they do take some getting use 2 and advise hours of riding on soft grass away from roads and make sure you get them set up right because stopping at traffic lights and not use to them and falling of your bike not only hurts but can be pretty dangerous but highly benifical when getting use 2 them as double the amount of force can be exerted at any one time and can pull your bike up to your self in jumps which is always fun to catch some air:P
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wow. Just.... WOW.
    Go on, you know you want your kid to grow up to be just like that^^
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just 2 oresum.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    :lol:

Personal choice, but Yeehaa makes a good point re shoes.
  • Have you considered asking him?