Which speedo computer?

Bike-Rich
Bike-Rich Posts: 275
edited July 2011 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Never really thought about getting a speedo before but after some recent rides I think it would be quite useful to know my speed and how fast I am going?
Any recommendations please?

Comments

• fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Previously I have used a boardman and a cateye computer both worked well and will probably give you all you need.......but I have to say having upgraded to a garmin 500 if you can stretch the budget it's well worth the extra :D
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    I'd say that wanting to know your speed and how fast you are going is unnecessary and superfluous.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    P_Tucker wrote:
    I'd say that wanting to know your speed and how fast you are going is unnecessary and superfluous.

Ignore that person. It's just like saying, wanting to know the time of the day is pointless, i do it by the sun.

As for recommendations, I'd say the Cateye Strada Wireless is a good unit. No wires, and does probably everything you'll want.
  • outcastjack
    outcastjack Posts: 237
    if you are looking for something cheap I am not sure that you can beat this at the moment.
  • airbusboy
    airbusboy Posts: 231
    Garmin 800 ;-)
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • BoydD
    BoydD Posts: 68
    I've had a couple of the Cateye computers and both have been great. I now have a VDO which I brought at the recommendation of my LBS and I'm very pleased with it. You don't have to spend a lot for the functionality your after but having had both wired and wireless computers then I would definitely go for wireless.
    Giant Defy Advanced
    Cannondale Super Six 105
    Spesh Rockhopper
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Garmin 500. I personally have the 705, which does everything I want and no need to "upgrade" to the 800. However, the 500 is a better training device and simple to work. Add to that the Garmin Connect site to help with planning and progress, and it can't be beaten in my book.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Anything with a cadence function.. and no wires! 8)
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • airbusboy
    airbusboy Posts: 231
    I'd almost agree with Philthy.... I have a G705... And find the nav function superfluous 9times out 10. Although the times I use it is normally when I'm lost....

Check handtec, probably some excellent deals on g500's
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Yeah cos you'll never ever want to know if you're improving, at what rate you're improving, or ever need to calculate in your head an approximate ETA based on current conditions & speed. Proper pros don't need to know, they just guess obviously. Don't waste £30 more on a bike that's cost a few hundred, maybe a couple of grand. No-one else does.

Enough. Try the Topeak Comp 140. Speed, cadence, average cadence, average speed, max speed, time, option to set predefined distance or times for rides etc. Pick one up for about £30.
  • markybhoy67
    markybhoy67 Posts: 346
    I just ordered a Garmin 500 for under £100 from Evans Cycle, I got them to price match Best Buy website

http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/product/100011 ... 9b27028de9

I ordered from Evans as they have a shop near where I stay just in case anything goes wrong.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    CiB wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Yeah cos you'll never ever want to know if you're improving, at what rate you're improving, or ever need to calculate in your head an approximate ETA based on current conditions & speed. Proper pros don't need to know, they just guess obviously. Don't waste £30 more on a bike that's cost a few hundred, maybe a couple of grand. No-one else does.

Enough. Try the Topeak Comp 140. Speed, cadence, average cadence, average speed, max speed, time, option to set predefined distance or times for rides etc. Pick one up for about £30.

WHOOOOOOOOOSH!
  • the_spooks
    the_spooks Posts: 190
    Just spent a whole £6 for an aldi special, not expecting much but for all I need at the moment I really cant complain. Wish I had it when I did the C2C last week though :(
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Liking my Velomann wireless at the moment. Seems much more robust than the Blackburn unit that preceded it.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    the_Spooks wrote:
    Just spent a whole £6 for an aldi special, not expecting much but for all I need at the moment I really cant complain. Wish I had it when I did the C2C last week though :(

You sure it isn't the LIDL special because they are doing the wireless ones now. Aldi were doing them a few weeks ago with a HRM for £14 I think?

Maybe they have different stock in different stores and it was Aldi where you picked one up...
  • the_spooks
    the_spooks Posts: 190
    Thebigbee wrote:
    the_Spooks wrote:

You sure it isn't the LIDL special because they are doing the wireless ones now. Aldi were doing them a few weeks ago with a HRM for £14 I think?

Maybe they have different stock in different stores and it was Aldi where you picked one up...
    Yeh soz that's the place, LIDL. Oops.....one budget company is the same as tother.
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    [quote="
    Yeh soz that's the place, LIDL. Oops.....one budget company is the same as tother.[/quote]

Alternatively all German supermarkets seem to offer very good value for money - 3 year guarantee - and they basically all look the same. And no that wasn't xenophobic - merely true!!