Helmets - Specialized Echelon or Giro Monza?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
I think the Echelon looks nicer but have no idea which one to choose! Looking to upgrade from my very basic £15 Decathlon lid.

Any comments welcome!

Thanks

Comments

• FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    You need to try them both on.

I have a Specialized helmet. I considered a Giro for my next lid, but when I tried one on, it wasn't as comfortable as the Specialized.

Buy the one that fits best and is most comfortable.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    FSR_XC wrote:
    You need to try them both on.

Buy the one that fits best and is most comfortable.

+1. Giro's fit me better, and I have a round-ish head if you get what I mean.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • PKRAZOR
    PKRAZOR Posts: 89
    Echelon is more comfortable for me but the most important thing is to try them on. Its always amazed me how i can see a helmet i like, says it fits my head size but when i try one on its too small, too big, uncomfortable etc so my advice is pick one you like the look of online or in mags, then go and see it in the flesh. Both of those helmets will be good though.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    The Echelon seems to last longer, and is more comfortable for me, but the Monza looks better. I've used Monza's since 2006 and something always breaks on them - always a tiny bit of plastic on the retention system. I would post photos if I could be bothered.

Note that a helmet might feel comfortable when you try it on but 30 miles later it can give some real discomfort.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • rodgers73
    I did wonder whether low weight was being gained by a lack of substance in the fittings etc.

Anyone with a Specialized helmet had any issues similar to this??
  • jonni3
    jonni3 Posts: 57
    I've had the Specialized Echelon for about a month now & found it to be extremely comfy, very well made, the size adjustment mechanism is so simple to use.

The only thing I would have like to have had included is insect mesh on the front vents, not a nice feeling having flying things bounce off your bonce when your going at speed :o

Not had any issues with it as yet, then again I have a 6 year old Met lid & have had no issues with it either.

Not had any experience with Giro lids.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I've had the Echelon for 4 months, and since I first tried it on I hated the "mushroom" look it has. I bought it when I got my first bike and knew zero about these things - I just said "give me a helmet" and they handed me the Echelon.

Despite it costing £50 only 4 months ago, I find it so "mushroomy" and big that I am upgrading to a Specialized S-Works lid (£130-150 depending where you go), a-la many TdF riders - more expensive, but allround a better helmet.

I dont know anything about Giro lids, but I am yet to hear anything poor said about them.

Once you're paying above £100, they're basically all the same and it's just about looks or whatever your favourite rider wears!
  • rodgers73
    I'm also keen to avoid mushroom headed looks - especially as I have quite a large head already!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    jonni3 wrote:
    The only thing I would have like to have had included is insect mesh on the front vents, not a nice feeling having flying things bounce off your bonce when your going at speed :o
    Ah, so it was you who posted that daft review on Evans...
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • jonni3
    jonni3 Posts: 57
    Herbsman wrote:
    jonni3 wrote:
    Ah, so it was you who posted that daft review on Evans...

Nope, never have posted a review on Evans .......