Would you buy these from amazon?

Jono69
Jono69 Posts: 3
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
Evening all...Looking at buying a Garmin Cervelo jersey and bib shorts and noticed they seem to be way cheaper through Amazon than wiggle. Makes me wonder if they are genuine? I know ebay has a lot of fake gear but I always thought amazon was genuine?

Link below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=s ... 1312067202

Cheers :D

Comments

• batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Don't look right to me, compare the word GARMIN across the front, seem to be wrongly positioned and not the same font.
    About Seller
    I am new amazon seller.I will try my best to make you satisfaction.i dont hope get any Negative Feedback.That i Provide Free order Return within 45 days.

About shipping rate

Ship to UK take 5-12 days.If the delivery company busy it may take 8-15 days.

if you are not get your order within 15 days.please contact us by amazon.

thank you

Sounds Chinese
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    batch78 wrote:
    Don't look right to me, compare the word GARMIN across the front, seem to be wrongly positioned and not the same font.
    About Seller
    I am new amazon seller.I will try my best to make you satisfaction.i dont hope get any Negative Feedback.That i Provide Free order Return within 45 days.

About shipping rate

Ship to UK take 5-12 days.If the delivery company busy it may take 8-15 days.

if you are not get your order within 15 days.please contact us by amazon.

thank you

Sounds Chinese

+1. Better off going to Decathlon or somewhere and getting plain janes for the same money. people wearing a full team kit tend to look a bit of a cock anyway, unless of course they actually ride for that team. As for the quality issue, any problems with the chamois, r they tear or rip earlier that you'd think they should, who you gonna send 'em back to? better to have a bit of accountability from a local shop, no?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • jonbob78
    jonbob78 Posts: 70
    That said I bought some Astana bib shorts and jersey off eBay for £35 last year, shipped from China. Fairly sure they're fake but really please with the quality, espicially the chamois.

It is always a risk but you'll just have to weigh it up. I knew that paying less than 50% of standard price was worth taking and if I lost 35 quid it wasn't the end of the world. Also worth looking at feedback rating from others too.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Check out the dozen or more threads on chinese ebay kits.

My kits have been fine - not as high quality maybe as the proper kit but at a fraction of the price. The shorts are remarkably good and perfect for wearing under longs in winter too. Sizes tend to be a bit smaller than average I'd say.
  • Jono69
    Jono69 Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the advise guys. Think I'll bob along and see what my LBS has got.
    Happy cycling
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    As far as I can tell from personal (bad) experience, the Amazon marketplace is certainly no better regulated than eBay. Obviously, if you buy something from Amazon itself, you can expect good service, but I've been put off using marketplace sellers by some of the experiences I've had. It's a shame because I don't think it does Amazon's reputation any good, but I guess there's enough money in it for them that they're prepared to overlook that.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Can't believe Amazon would be associated with anyone selling fake gear - perhaps I'm being naive.

I'll let you know when mine arrive - ordered yesterday.

Just wanted the jersey really as can't find them anywhere else. Good price for bib as well but I won't be wearing them together as I haven't got the balls or fitness to wear full race kit.
  • Must admit I was surprised by the amount of snide gear on Amazon, it is also not that easy to tell that they are going to ship from China.

Quite surprised the brand owners are not jumping all over eBay and Amazon.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Amazon aren't selling it directly, it is a company using Amazon marketplace.

I'm always weary of such things. The service can be slow.
  • I do understand that it is not Amazon direct but I would have thought that they would not want to be involved by promoting quite clearly rip off gear.

I quite fancied some livestrong gear, and 100% of it was dodgy, in fact some of the nice ones were branded Adidas & Specialized, neither of which as far as I can tell have ever been involved with Livestrong.

I used to like Amazon, but since Marketplace has taken odd it has really put me off, at least with eBay you no its a little wild west and are a bit more careful.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I do understand that it is not Amazon direct but I would have thought that they would not want to be involved by promoting quite clearly rip off gear.

I quite fancied some livestrong gear, and 100% of it was dodgy, in fact some of the nice ones were branded Adidas & Specialized, neither of which as far as I can tell have ever been involved with Livestrong.

I used to like Amazon, but since Marketplace has taken odd it has really put me off, at least with eBay you no its a little wild west and are a bit more careful.

I sort of know what you mean there. I buy stuff from Amazon because I'd rather be dealing with Amazon than some bloke on eBay. But that said you can tell who's who easily enough so it's not really a problem.
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    MrChuck wrote:
    I sort of know what you mean there. I buy stuff from Amazon because I'd rather be dealing with Amazon than some bloke on eBay. But that said you can tell who's who easily enough so it's not really a problem.

Yes, and you can refine your search so that you only see things that are sold by Amazon directly, which is what I do now.

The thing that put me off marketplace sellers was when I ordered something and paid the price and quoted shipping to Spain on my credit card (as you do on Amazon) and then received an email telling me I had to send another £15 to their PayPal account to cover shipping. I managed to get the payment refunded to my card, but it's really put me off, as you can imagine.
  • steveadi
    steveadi Posts: 26
    I had a counterfiet copy of windows 7 off amazon marketplace i didnt know at the time but 6 months later microsoft turned my screen black and kept putting the nag on the screen that i was using a non genuine operating system. :cry:
  • McBoom
    McBoom Posts: 78
    Can't see the point of paying £55-60 for fake kit when you can get it for £35 on ebay.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    I'm buying thin on the assumption that it's genuine, otherwise I'd go for the Chinese stuff.

If it's fake I think trading standards will be interested.