it all seems a bit of a struggle!!

susieb
susieb Posts: 2
edited July 2011 in Road beginners
Hi, i hope someone out there can offer some advice. I seem to be struggling with cycling at the mo. Last year i trained for a 116 mile bike ride on a hybrid bike which I am still using. I was quite fit, did three or four weight training sessions in the gym a week plus the cycle training. I didnt ride at all over the winter, then broke my arm in February this year so I have only recently returned to cycling. I am taking part in a charity challenge in September, cycling 190 miles over three days. However, the training seems so difficult this year. I am getting a lot of pain across my shoulders and neck, i feel I have no power in my legs and even when cycling on the flat I feel there is no speed. It has really dented my confidence. At the end of a ride (up to 55miles) I am exhausted and my upper body aches. It feels like I have had to use my upper body more to try to get up the hills...we live in a hilly area I might add. If this isnt the right place to ask the question can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you, any help greatly appreciated.

Sue

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    So what sort of mileage have you done recently? It sounds like you just need more ... practice. If you up your miles too quickly it's going to ache - I found that jumping from 30 miles per day (daily) to a one off 70 mile ride made me hurt in places I'd forgotten about.

If you're doing 55 miles now you'll be fine come September, I wouldn't even try to do much bigger mileages. However try and get out more often - three times a week say for a couple of hours at a time.

Are you getting the right food and drink down? Are you trying to go too fast?
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Sue, the first thing I would say is don't get despondant. As long as you are out there on the bike, then all the miles are good. Slow or quick it is all training for your event. If the pain in your neck and shoulders is a real problem, why not pay a visit to a oesteopath. I had a real problem with my neck a while ago, a few sessions at the oesteopaths really sorted it out. As for the hills, until you feel stronger just 'spin' your way up. Your strength and confidence will come back, just keep turning those pedals. Good luck with the challenge.
  • graniteway
    graniteway Posts: 30
    Hi Sue,

I`m sure you have adjusted your saddle to correct height and position.
    I had sore neck etc and found just a few ml adjustment here and there worked wonders.
    Also, I started to commute to work 25 mile round trip, extremely hilly area of Cornwall and initially found it difficult to get up the hills without wanting to throw up and legs just giving out on me.
    By stopping for rest of about 20 seconds, leg strength and stamina came back and I could continue with no problems.
    Also I started to FUEL UP properly before and after riding, VERY IMPORTANT

Wiithin a few weeks i`m starting to wonder where all the hills have gone!!!
    Don`t despair, it`s just time and gently building up the mileage.

From another Sue
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    In addition to what others have said, did you have physio on your upper back and neck after your broken arm had healed? An impact that breaks a bone in the upper body can quite easily throw the spine out of alignment, as can unintentionally compensating from an injury that has healed but that you're still a bit cautious with.

I'd recommend seeing a chiropractor to make sure everything is still where it should be.
  • merak
    merak Posts: 323
    Assuming there is no underlying health problem, perhaps you are just expecting to do too much too soon. It's quite common for cyclists who have been riding at a particular level for a while, and who then have a lay-off, to want to ride at the same speed they used to from day 1. The problem is that if you have been off the bike for a while yonu haven't got the base fitness anymore, and if you try to ride as your memory tells you that you should, you just blow up. Plus you've lost the suppleness and fitness to sit on the bike for a few hours at a time. Try doing a few medium length rides 2 mph slower than you think you should be going (think distance and time on the bike rather than speed) and you'll soon find the base fitness builds up and your strength and speed start to come back.

I remember Lance Armstrong saying that when he was recovering from cancer he went out on a training ride and was overtaken on a hill by a lady on a shopper bike. Then he went on to win the Tour a few times.