First Ever Road Bike Ride!

blue07794
blue07794 Posts: 47
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
Hi there i bought a Trek 1.2 road bike today and took it for a spin. I only went on a 3 mile return ride but how fantastic an experience!!! Wow!

I have only ever rode mountain bikes before and this just blew me away, the only thing i found a surprise was how hard the ride was and how i felt every bump and pebble ha ha.
this was compensated by the ease of gear changing and speed.

After arriving back home and having a cup of tea i was eager to go again and this time did a 5 mile round ride and i feel fresh as a daisy.
I just cant wait for tomorrow to get out again.
Did anyone else have a similar experience or is it me getting over excited because i have waited for so long to get my first road bike

Comments

• Glad you enjoyed it, I've just started riding and yes I was the same, loved it and go out nearly everyday.

Best piece of advice I can give though, get yourself some decent bib shorts and clipless shoes, it makes one hell of a difference :)

Enjoy
    exercise.png
  • blue07794
    Already got the padded shorts but the shoes and pedals are next on the agenda
  • jimmys85
    jimmys85 Posts: 39
    Ah, a fellow Chesterfield'r!

I'm just getting started again on an old steel bike, might see you around (i'll be the fatty gasping for breath).
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Welcome to the club :D

I was out this morning at 7am and did around 26 miles, I love getting out early and missing the traffic!
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • blue07794
    nice one Andy this is also something i need to think about as i build my miles up is the potential routes on offer and a couple of spare inner tubes :lol:
  • ba68
    ba68 Posts: 156
    Glad to hear you are enjoying the bike, how did you get on with the shifters?

BA
  • blue07794
    to be honest they were fine as i mainly rode on the hoods and top of the drops rather than the bottom, so i recon at this stage they will be ok, only time will tell
  • Arghyrou
    Arghyrou Posts: 155
    7 o'clock! early? Im up at 4ish round Richmond Park, now that is some good riding.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Arghyrou wrote:
    7 o'clock! early? Im up at 4ish round Richmond Park, now that is some good riding.

Well I get up at 4:30am everyday for work so I have a lie in at the weekend :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Arghyrou
    Arghyrou Posts: 155
    Fair enough, see you on the way to work :D
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    it gets even better when you have some standard routes mapped out and you try them every so often... today I did my 26mile tour of Harrow, which I try at least every 6 weeks or so, a fairly rolling route with a couple of nasty climbs... today I smashed 13min of my previous best with a lower average heart rate... a sure sign of increasing fitness :)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • coombsfh
    coombsfh Posts: 186
    The first ride is mega...

However, beware - it will get better and faster and more addictive and you will start getting up early just to do more whizzing about and before you know it you will start to question why you have a car in this weather and all sorts.

Prepare to fall head over heels; that's what I am shamelessly doing at the moment and I highly recommend it to anyone...
  • coombsfh wrote:
    The first ride is mega...

However, beware - it will get better and faster and more addictive and you will start getting up early just to do more whizzing about and before you know it you will start to question why you have a car in this weather and all sorts.

Prepare to fall head over heels; that's what I am shamelessly doing at the moment and I highly recommend it to anyone...
    Quoted for truth!

I got my first ever road bike a couple of weeks ago... Since then I'm out whenever I possibly can. I've started riding part of my commute - I ride to the station, train to town, then ride into work... The poor old car just doesn't get a look in any more. I spend all of my spare time planning the next ride!
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic