First 40+ mile ride :)

G.Zero
G.Zero Posts: 35
edited July 2011 in Road beginners
I have had my bike just over a month and not really been out on it as much as I should. Just a few 15 milers a couple of 20's and last week did a very hilly (well it seemed it to me according to mapmyride.com it had 1 cat 3 1 cat 4 and 2 cat 5 climbs a total of 1946ft of climbing)

And well today I planned a flat 40 mile route, which quickly became 48 as I kept getting the route wrong as I have a brain like a sieve and my notes were less than perfect. I am very glad that I planned it on a quite flat route my legs are now killing... but I am proud I managed to get as far as I did...

Comments

• Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    well done on that mate! is that all you have been riding for?
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • G.Zero
    Do you mean how long? I have never ridden a road bike before 5 weeks ago no :) I have been riding mountain bikes most my life but never over any real distance just a few miles here and there.
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    yea i meant that :) very impressive :D
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • G.Zero
    Thanks I am pretty chuffed with it :) I will have to build up to doing a proper 50 though I don't think my legs can handle that just yet
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    My friend, if I'd looked down to see 48 miles on the clock, I'd have had to fin another 2 to make the 50. Bike computers are dangerous for competitive people lile me. Mine has an indicator to tell whether you're above or below average speed and I spend most of my time trying to stay high.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • G.Zero
    Ah I don't yet have a bike comp :) I only thought I had gone wrong by about 3-4 miles but got home mapped it and found I had done 48, there was no way I would have been able to do 48 the last couple of miles back were hell on the tops of my thighs..

But I am doing a 22mile tomorrow whilst the girlfriend is at work which means in total on the road bike I have done just under 200 miles 101 of which in the last 8 days on 3 rides :)
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Good stuff mate.
    I'd definitely get a computer. Basic ones aren't too expensive and have plenty of functions.
    Depends if you want cadence etc. My Cateye Mity has lasted me years.

Don't get hung up on average speeds for now. Better if you go slower and get more miles in.

Next step would be to join a club.
    You get shelter in the group and being with others makes you go those extra few miles.
  • G.Zero
    A computer is at the moment 3rd on my list of stuff I need to save up for (I am a student who has been pretty bad with money for the past 2 years but managed to get myself a second part time job so I am hoping to use some money from that to pay for bike stuff..) my list so far is:
    1. jersey so that I can wear shorts that don't have pockets (I have padded boxers for now I am putting off bibs for now)
    2. spd-sl pedals and shoes
    3. bike computer

I want to get up to a pretty decent fitness level overall before I decide to join a club :)

The one target that I know I definitely have to beat is 144miles. On the day that england won the world cup in 1966 my dad and his friend, they were 15 at the time, cycled 144 miles from where they lived in england to wales. That is what I want to beat, and I am pretty sure that I will be able to! (eventually)
  • G.Zero
    Did my 22mile just now in a time of 1:25 avg 15.76mph would have probably done it faster without the masses of headwind.

Very happy with my performance this weekend. much more of a workout doing 70miles than what i used to do wandering aimlessly round town