Process of buying a new bike

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited July 2011 in Road beginners
I just bought a new bike but it has taken me over 3 weeks of research to decide!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hu17/5988183338/

I bought my house quicker than that

There seems so many options, is this unusual?

How long did it take you to narrow down the options.

Flyer

Comments

• BoydD
    BoydD Posts: 68
    I wanted to buy mine from my LBS and since they mainly deal with Cannondale and Spesh that narrowed it down.

I wanted a more relaxed geometry so that narrowed it down again and throw in my budget, under £800, that basically came down to two bikes. SPesh Secteur sport and Cannondale Synapse Sora. I rode both (around a carpark) and the Dale just felt better. Posted on here and got great feedback ono both bikes. Nothing against Spesh, had two Mtb from them. Very please with my new bike to date.

Enjoy your new Scott. Had a Scott mtb back in the 90s and it was a fantastic frame until some toe-rag nicked it!!
    Giant Defy Advanced
    Cannondale Super Six 105
    Spesh Rockhopper
  • I wouldn't say your timescale is unusual. I was looking around at bikes for months in numerous different bike shops across the south between Hampshire and Worcestershire before I finally decided which I wanted. I contemplated all frame materials before finally deciding to go for titanium.

If you're spending 2k+ on a bike you want to make sure you get the right one for your needs and one that makes you want to get on it even if you've just got off it!

Nice bike by the way, enjoy.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I spent about 4 months looking for mine, first of all deciding which type (MTB, hybrid, road) and then researching the various options in my budget. I was also in no rush as I waited for the right deal since it was for summer onwards really.

3 weeks is nowt really with a budget of £2k. I know some people who never really found what they were looking for and compromised. I also don't know many people who would just walk into their local Evans and say, "yeh, sod it I'll take that one" without at least some consideration. Mind you, one mate went in to take a look at both one particular Spesh MTB and one particular roadie with half an idea of comparing them, maybe having a ride etc. Ended up with both.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    It's not really how long it takes to choose . . . . More like how long it takes to save.

I'm choosing all the time.

Very nice bike btw
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Three weeks ? I spend months thinking about mine !
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It's probably taken so long because you keep starting tonnes of new threads.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • flyer
    Mouth

I am similar to you.

Injured my back badly last year and sold my bike, and have had 6 months of phisio now ready to get back on. However I have put 2 stone on in last 12 months, now 15 stone 7 pounds!!!

I was doing around 100 miles per week until the accident then red wine and chocolate kicked in last October!!

Looking forward to getting fit again and hope the bike will kick start the motivation

Good luck with your weight loss

Flyer
  • Hierotochan
    Hierotochan Posts: 108
    I was about 3 months from deciding I NEEDED a road bike to actually leaving the shop on it!

I tried the same 3 models in about 10 different shops & asked all the same questions.
    It's amazing how you get the same bumf that's in the catalog recited to you as gospel in some stores.
    In the end I went with the shop that pressured me the least, with staff that didn't look down on me for being a complete noob.

Unfortunately I think its standard for your second bike will take even longer,
    I am already thinking of making my Bianchi a winter bike & splashing on a full carbon bike while it's still dry!
    Welcome to Hoogerland, Population: Heroes.

Danny Hart; How does he sit down with balls that big?
  • jonni3
    jonni3 Posts: 57
    I spent a few months & countless changes of mind before deciding on which bike to get.

Luckily the Fuji I have dropped in price just as my C2W certificate came through, allowing me to get a better spec'd bike.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    it took me about a year - But that was partly saving the cash. It came down to the willier izoard and the kouta kharma. It the end it was an easy choice the Iozard with ultegra came in at £900 more than the Kharma with ultegra - being a rider of limited abilities I couldn't justify the extra £900 - so the Kharma it was.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    3 weeks! Sounds like you dived in there a bit. Hope you won't be disappointed with your choice :lol:

It took me 6 months just to decide on a frame!
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • flyer
    wow I am suprised I thought 3 weeks was a long time, for a bike anyway.

That said I have had lots of advise from here and many visits to local and not so local bike shops.

Did 46 miles today and I loved it!

May need to make a few tweeks but will wait a bit

Flyer