Question regarding Defy 2 tyres

mickyc1
mickyc1 Posts: 37
edited July 2011 in Road beginners
I have recently bought the defy 2 from my local bike shop and was wondering about the tyres i am new to road biking the tyres are below.

Giant P-R3 Flatguard 700x25mm front/rear specific compound : Would these be slicks?

Excuse the ignorance but i,m used to mountain bikes would these tyres be dangerous in wet conditions and if so what should i get.

Thanx in advance for any help. :wink:

Comments

• Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    Road tyres are too thin to aquaplane so slicks are good wet or dry.
  • mickyc1
    Thanks Essex Man :wink:
  • I thought the Defy 2 came with Kenda's... which are made of CHEESE!!!
  • The defy does indeed come with giants own rubber fitted. The tyres on my defy lasted about 90 miles before getting seriously deformed - especially the rear tyre. I'm now running conti gator skins which are much better.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I thought the Defy 2 came with Kenda's... which are made of CHEESE!!!

2010 came with Kendas, 2011 came with Giant tyres.
  • mickyc1
    The defy does indeed come with giants own rubber fitted. The tyres on my defy lasted about 90 miles before getting seriously deformed - especially the rear tyre. I'm now running conti gator skins which are much better.

90 Miles only thats not good ,thought they would have lasted longer than that :shock:
  • mickyc1 wrote:
    The defy does indeed come with giants own rubber fitted. The tyres on my defy lasted about 90 miles before getting seriously deformed - especially the rear tyre. I'm now running conti gator skins which are much better.

90 Miles only thats not good ,thought they would have lasted longer than that :shock:

Yeah, if I had bought the bike locally I'd have taken them back. As it happened I had the gator skins lying round in the garage anyway so it didn't cost me to change them.

The giant tyres were ok for a while though. You'll be fine on them unless they go the same way as mine. You might as well use them until they wear out or brake.
  • mickyc1
    Scouselander

I will use them till there gone / i mentioned about your situation regarding the tyres yesterday when i was getting a bike fit at my local shop.

He was shocked that they only lasted that long as he reckoned that giant were now way ahead at supplying there own tyres and cutting out the tyre manufacturers.

If i had that problem he would rectify it as stated but as you have said you did,nt buy local