Collected new bike today but ?

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited July 2011 in Road beginners
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hu17/5988183338/

I would like to upgrade the tyres and saddle

Any suggestions, would like to get a bit more tyre under me for comfort and safety not too bothered about weight and speed reduction too much.

Currently have Continental Ultra Race!

The saddle looks a bit cheap and uncomfortable so it needs to go, its Scotts own brand

Will take it for a spin tomorrow as we have the National Cycling in my area all weekend, cant get better motivated than that!

Flyer

Thanks

Flyer

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Maybe you should ride it before deciding the saddle is uncomfortable and the tyres not safe enough (not really sure what you mean by that!). The one I got with my Ribble doesn't look great (San Marco Ponza) but it's been fine.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • That's a fit looking bike, well done!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You cant tell a saddle is going to be comfy or uncomfy just by looking at it.

Ride it - and give it a good while. Then you can come back in a few weeks, ignore the 100's of 'what saddle' threads and ask again.... :)

Whats up with those tyres ? You've not told us the width ?

(you do realise the best thing to be would have to ask the shop to swap over the bits you didn't like before you picked up your 2k+ bike ? )
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If it is standard then the tyres will be Continental Ultra Race in 23mm. Surely worth riding a few times before swapping to anything else?

Nice bike, btw.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    That's a handsome bike - congrats and enjoy!
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    The tyres will be perfectly safe - why do you think otherwise, they are just training tyres, designed for a variety of road conditions.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/road.shtml

Also, I'm sure that once you are used to the bike you will find it quite comfortable - even the saddle.
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    cougie wrote:

(you do realise the best thing to be would have to ask the shop to swap over the bits you didn't like before you picked up your 2k+ bike ? )

Totally agree with this.
  • Looks like a stock photo to me
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • flyer
    flyer Posts: 608
    Good points, maybe just ride for a few hundred and see.

Yes it is a stock photo from Scott website but it's the bike

Flyer
  • BoydD
    BoydD Posts: 68
    saw one of these in the flesh in a shop in Penrith the other day, very nice.
    Giant Defy Advanced
    Cannondale Super Six 105
    Spesh Rockhopper
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    I have test ridden this very bike and it's was absolutely fine. I ended up getting a Scott Addict R2 which was a slightly more responsive ride and bit lighter. All the same kit, I had the saddle swapped purely because I was used to a certain other design and also I felt the scott saddle looked a bit budget type.

Ride the bike for a while first before changing anything, what you have got is 99% excellent.

If you race maybe upgrade tyres, these are fine for training leisure rides etc.

Saddle, try then see.