cycle shoes...What a Difference

jma001
jma001 Posts: 11
edited July 2011 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I have just started riding again after a number of years away doing other unfit things :o

I have dusted off my old MTB Giant NRS weighing in at a mighty 31.4lbs to go with its owners ....18stone :oops: My intention is to go the road bike route but ATM i am using the MTB to get some sort of fitness back.

I am using the bike on the road so bought some more road friendly tires (nimbus) that made a nice difference. This morning i went and purchased some specialized BG Pro MTB shoes and some shimano SPD540 pedals...........WOW What a difference :D:D

It just feels so much better, not fell off yet having a bit of difficulty getting clipped in after setting off at junctions but that should come with practice. My feet were a bit tingly at one point but loosened off and all good.

My biggest prob atm seems to be my seat, did about 13miles the other day ended up with a sore ar**, had a couple of days off same again. I have just come back from 18miles and i can feel it coming on again, i never usd to have this problem..do i need to look into a new seat or will time in the saddle sort it?

I am going to keep plugging away at my fitness levels and then have a look at getting a road bike, i was drooling over allsorts this morning in the LBS :D

regards

jma

Comments

• geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I had 3 months off my bike after an accident. I attempted to get fit on a turbo and had to wear 2 pairs of shorts which worried me a bit because I'd been totally pain free in that region for years. However, with a few miles in my legs (and bum) all returned to normal and my backside has regained its insensitivity.

I think it's mostly down to getting your backside hardened off but you could try different saddles. I'm a Brookes leather advocate but others hate them. Just remember, if a plastic saddle is uncomfortable to start with, only your backside can change to overcome that - with a leather saddle, time will fit the saddle to you.
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • merak
    merak Posts: 323
    It should get better with time in the saddle. If I'm ever off the bike for more than two or three weeks I get a bit sore when I come back to it. If you starting from scratch you'll likely smart a bit. If it doesn't get better in a month or so you might need to try a different saddle.

My favourite is the San Marco Rolls - not the flashiest or the lightest but they work for me. I have four on my bikes including a titunium rail one for best. But YMMV.